h y a c i n t h

𝓈𝑜𝓇𝓇𝑜𝓌

-

Despite my obvious discomfort and probably obvious despair, the reporter Minami reassured me countless times and told me she'd teach me everything she knew. Tsukasa reassured me that even if I wasn't any particular genius, I could still prove useful and eventually when the war with the Kingdom of Science was over, I could be the one to help everyone else he'd revive get used to the new life in the stone age.
I didn't hate Tsukasa's way of things. People had always been cruel to me too, and I didn't really care about them. Instead, I selfishly cared about only myself, wondering why he didn't just 'accidentally' rip my stone self to pieces too.
I couldn't chop wood. I couldn't run very fast. I couldn't shoot a bow properly, my aim was horrible, and what was even the point of teaching me? I didn't even want to learn. I didn't want to learn anything anymore.
I want to go back.
I want to go back home.
Or back to the depths of sleep I was in in the stone.
Anything, anything but this. I begged, falling to my knees in front of the tiny, pathetic lake I always went to dip my feet in to try and remind myself I was alive and that that was okay. It wasn't a bad thing. I wasn't a mistake.
Everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?
"Please, God, anyone. What have I done? What did I do? Why? Why is this happening to me? I just want to mean something!"

After a few weeks of quietly listening to people complain about my useless presence, after crying and pushing Minami's comfort tactics away, I decided I would leave. No one was coming to help me, no one ever has before. So I packed a small bag with some food and a small knife given to me for my protection. I tied it on to me and left at night.
When I was walking, someone called out to me, but I ignored them. My eyes widened when an arrow was shot in front of my feet, and my eyes teared up again.
Haven't I already cried enough?
"Where do you think you're going?"
"Why do you even care?"
"You won't be able to survive out there on your own."
Shut up, I wanted to say.
Then kill me then, I wanted to say.
"I just wanted to take a hike, on my own. I'll come back eventually."
"You're a bad liar."
"I don't care."
When I started walking again, he didn't stop me. I cried quietly the farther I went into the dark. Why didn't he run after me? Why didn't he grab my arm and tell me he'd help me instead, that he understood me, that he saw me the way I wanted to be seen? Why did he have to shoot an arrow at me and talk down to me like I was an annoying pest that he'd been ordered to protect?
By the time the sun rose, my feet hurt, and frankly so did everything else. I stared at the moving sun and just cried.
Because this world was beautiful. It was beautiful without me too.