Dramatic Route Epilogue

Start bij het begin

Nobunaga: "We'll finish later."

Mai: "Tonight?"

Without answering, Nobunaga let go of me and followed his entourage of vassals into the castle. I got some wicked satisfaction out of seeing how flushed their faces were. That was a very pleasant surprise. Nobunaga's kiss was a message: "I missed you while you were away. I'm too busy to talk, but I had to give you that, at least."

After that sudden, stimulating burst of affection, my heart fluttered like a butterfly in a hurricane all night long.

And yet, the expected "tonight" never came. It's been seven days. I sighed loudly.

Mitsuhide: "If you're in need of consolation, I'm always available."

Mai: "No thanks.

Mitsuhide: "There's no need to be frightened. I was just offering to torment... I'm sorry, slip of the tongue, tend to you for a bit."

Mai: "One, that wasn't a slip of the tongue. Two, that's utterly terrifying. And three, I don't need consoling."

Mitsuhide: "A pity." Mitsuhide laughed the way I imagined a snake would. He slithered past me and out into the hall. Back to work for me. I'll see if I can find Nobunaga later. When I left the audience chamber, I found Mitsuhide waiting for me just outside the door. "Mai. Let me tell you something that might help."

Mai: "Aah! Mitsuhide! ...Don't you have work to get to?"

Mitsuhide: "Actually, I have all the time in the world. Now, as I was going to tell you before being so rudely interrupted, the best rewards come to those who are patient."

Mai: "Um?"

Mitsuhide: "In simpler terms, there's a reason Nobunaga's been so busy. I'll see you later."

Mai: "Both things you said were super vague, by the way!" I called after him, but Mitsuhide didn't offer any further response. Despite what he said, I'm sure he's back to work just like Nobunaga is. That said, what was Mitsuhide getting at? The best rewards, huh?

----------

I finished delivering my newest custom kimono. It was sunset by the time I was done. This makes day eight without Nobunaga. I cast my eyes up at the beautiful sunset skyline of warm, inviting reds, just like Nobunaga's eyes. I've got it bad. Everything's reminding me of him now.

*-*-*

Mai: "What a pretty sunset."

Nobunaga: "I suppose it is. I'd never stopped to admire the setting sun before. But it's a pleasant sight."

*-*-*

I remember that moment. Being with him was so much fun, I wished it could last forever. A warm breeze caressed my cheek as if to tell me that I would be all right. Of course I will! I'm not sad, and Nobunaga and I will have plenty more sunsets together. We're living together. In the same world, in the same time. We achieved a miracle. Plus one week doesn't touch our previous record of three months!

I stared up at the tenshu of Azuchi castle, our home.

???: "What are you staring at, Mai?" That sounds like--

Mai: "I"m staring up at Azuchi. It's pretty in the sunset, but I'd rather be looking at you." I turned around. At the other end of the street, the man I wanted to see more than anything was walking my way.

Nobunaga: "Then look at me. I always think you're going to trip when I see you stare at the sky that way."

Mai: "Ahaha. Now I know why you're here. You secretly swapped bodies with Hideyoshi! After all, I haven't seen Nobunaga in days."