Chapter Five

Ramirez

There were wolves circling her. She knew there were. She had heard their claws drag against the ware house's concrete floors since she came to, only a few minutes ago. Though she was tied to a chair as chilly as the breeze whistling through the busted windows near the roof, her eyes could occasionally catch some of the individuals circling her. They were wolves, granted, but not like the ones she'd associated with earlier.

Though big, the beasts were ragged and lean, ribs and gashes making their thin fur poke out here and there. Their snarls sounded like manic laughter as they bounced throughout the warehouse.

Maria wondered why the chest in her gut wouldn't open when she requested it. She wondered why her teeth were chattering and the thin rope still was intact - for once she wished she could cause some destruction.

She thought about the ones who'd betrayed her; her own kind. The thought hurt more than she wanted to admit. Would she ever be at home?

One of the wolves came a bit too close, its yellow eyes zeroing in on her. The warm breath carried something rotten that made Maria shiver.

"Fuck off you fucking rat," she hissed, kicking at it but missing by miles.

The wolf winced causing its pack members to huddle closer - snarls became growls became nipping teeth.

"That's enough."

The voice wasn't loud, only carried by the emptiness of the big building. But it was authoritative enough to make the creatures back off to give Maria a view of the man in charge.

Once again, she noted he was similar to Charles yet completely different. Tattooed skin stretched across lean arms, his eyes holding the same power as Charles' but laced with mischief.

He smiled.

"Ay, I thought you were a goner."

"Get them away from me."

His eyes pinned her, his smile still just as wide. He raised a hand. "Please, perritos, give the firecracker some space."

The animals abided but didn't quiet down any more than their boss as he walked closer. His ripped jeans hung loose, disappearing underneath a big shirt. He made a point of sighing, then ran a hand through unruly black hair. He paused, then observed her for a second.

"You. You are very interesting."

Maria gulped. Hard. Once again the lack of flames was horribly palpable. "What did you do to me?"

"Nothing permanent. In fact, I might have to hurry this along." He looked at his watch. "You need a bit more sleep so you don't kill me - you don't have to act, I know you want to."

"Are you going to rape me?"

"No."

"Kill me?"

"No." But this time a bit more hesitation.

"Then what?" she bit out.

The man pursed his lips. "No, no, no. I'm not a rude man, Maria. First, I must introduce myself - George Ramirez, at your service - and then I must apologize for sneaking into your hotel room. Very violating, my apologies."

"That was you?"

"I wanted to introduce myself but your perrito gave us all quite the scare. He's very macho, no? Typical country wolf, so burly."

"He's going to kill you."

"Por favor, no need to be so hostile!" George feigned terror for a second, then laughed. "No, he's not. But he's going to want to once he sees what I want to do with you."

"You think you can take him?" Maria gave him a doubtful overlook but felt her heart almost beat out her chest from fear. The wolves must've sensed it, becoming more agitated around her.

"I don't want his life, Maria." George didn't seem as playful anymore. His jaw tensed. "I want a part of la vida del campo." His hand shot out dramatically. "I want forests and plains of grass for my people to roam free. I want his territory."

"His territory?" Maria echoed. "I don't know anything about his territory."

"Then let me inform you." George's easy smile returned, this time as he began counting on his fingers. "His reach covers one of the biggest surfaces in North America, but his pack is not even half the size of mine. Great hunting, beautiful nature. We are tired of the city, Maria. It is no place for a wolf."

"Then why live here?"

"Do you ask a dried up worm why they chose to rest on the asphalt?" He shook his head at her puzzled gaze. "Our presence here is the culmination of centuries of breeding. We don't deserve to be here, just as the pack of your novio hasn't earned their place in heaven."

She felt her hands tingle, sensed the chest creak open just a little bit. Enough to remove the goosebumps tickling her arms.

"I'm not a wolf. I have nothing to offer."

"As we get to know each other, I'm sure you will see my point of view," George Ramirez went on. "And because I like you so much I have to say that I sincerely hope you're wrong about that."

George looked up from her, pinned his attention to a spot just above her head. He nodded, and within moments a second needle pierced through the skin of her neck. The chest immediately slammed shut, so did her eyes. She screamed in pain.

"Lo siento, firecracker." A hand petted her hair. A pair of lips brushed her ear. "When you wake up, your puppy won't be as big an issue - we will have more time to talk."

"Fuck you," she tried to scream but just about drooled out. "What... is this?"

"Drugs. Just a little." He held up her head as it began swaying. "Maria is actually my mother's name, I forgot to tell you."

Maria tried to curse his mother but instead only managed to muster up a little energy, enough to spit in the general direction of his face. He jumped back but quickly stopped the wolves trying to attack.

He wiped the spit off his shirt, looked at the small hole burnt in it, revealing seared, pink skin.

If he yelled, she didn't hear it. But she doubted he did. All she heard as she gave way to the darkness for the second time was the growling.

And she wondered when she began viewing growls as soothing.

A/n

Here! Also, I apologize for the delay but I work two jobs at the moment and finding time is a bit hard.

Seeya soon tho!