Chapter 28: The Blue Star

The sky had darkened when the crew approached a large, dark pathway. Dead trees, stripped of leaves, and overgrown vines surrounded them. A tall arch, covered in vines and ivy, loomed ahead of them. Huge stone griffins flanked each side of the arch. It was shadowy and gloomy, Edmund's flashlight reflected eerily off tree branches and overgrown bushes as they walked over a dirty old stone bridge. As they entered through the arch, they noticed the space opened into a large outdoor dining pavilion. A long table sat in the center, piled with an enormous banquet of delectable and extravagant food, much of which was pleasing to the eye. It made Camille's mouth water, as did most of the other crewmen. Along the sides were set golden plates, glittering goblets decked with diamonds, and silver knives, forks, and spoons. 

"This banquet looks fit for a god or goddess," Camille whispered to Lucy who stood beside her.

"Mumm. Food," Travros spoke quietly, his hunger getting stronger.

The Minotaur was about to take a step when Drinian stopped him. "Wait," he ordered.

"Huh?" The Minotaur asked.

"Hey! Who are these men?" Marcus asked from the end of the table.  Three men sat frozen in time, their figures covered with overgrown vines.

Caspian and Edmund quickly drew their swords as Lucy gave a gasp of horror.  Camille quickly yanked Marcus back, nearly causing him to fall on her. "Careful Marcus! You can never be too wary around here."

Edmund glowered at the two. He didn't like how close the two were.

"Um, s-sorry, Camille, I'm kinda new to all this," Marcus stammered, his face turning slightly red from embarrassment.

Camille smiled and patted his shoulder. "Oh, that's ok, Marcus. I completely understand."

Seeing Marcus's flushed face, Edmund shook his head and turned his attention back to the table.

"Lord Revilian, Lord Mavramorn..." Caspian walked past  the still men.

"Lord Argoz," Camille and Caspian said at the same time.

Lucy slowly went to take a closer look at one man's face. She pulled back a lock of long grey hair, but quickly jumped back.

"He's breathing!" Caspian uttered in surprise.

Edmund shone his flashlight at the other two. "So are they," he noted.

"They must be under a spell," Camille suggested.

"It's the food!" Caspian exclaimed, his words stopping the ravenous crew in their tracks.

"Hey," Edmund exclaimed, "it's a stone knife."

"That's the knife the White Witch used to kill Aslan," Lucy explained to Marcus.

"So this is Aslan's table." Edmund concluded.

"Their swords," Camille spoke up.

"On the table," Caspian ordered.

Quickly, Edmund and Caspian laid the swords they had collected on a clear portion of the table while Camille helped Lucy collect the other three from the sleeping lords.

"That's six," Edmund stated, counting  the swords.

"We're still missing one," Caspian looked up at Edmund.

A descending bright blue light, lit up the swords lying on the table. Camille and Lucy looked up to see the blue star descending from the sky.

"Look!" Lucy exclaimed.

As it approached the ground, the blue star transformed  into a gorgeous woman dressed in white. Her hair was as golden as the sun, with pale tan skin. A blue misty glow with sparkling white spots seemed to envelop her figure. When she smiled, it felt like a million diamonds were sparkling back at them.