❥ 0.1

0.1 | exuberant

Full of energy, excitement;
A cause of cheerfulness.
(See: Senior year)

Summer

A car honks impatiently for the third time from outside my house. Hollering up a quick goodbye to my parents, I grab my bag from the floor and kick the front door shut behind me. Jogging towards the lime green hatchback parked on my driveway, I slide into the passengers seat hurriedly. 

"I swear you make me wait longer and longer for you everyday," Kat grumbles from beside me. I roll my eyes and suppress a laugh.

"Well good morning to you too best friend, I had an amazing summer break, thanks for asking," I muse. Kat snorts and flips her sunglasses back down from the top of her head. Starting up the engine, she reverses out of the driveway as Taylor Swift starts playing through the radio.

Plucking a pair of rounded sunnies from her dashboard, I slip it onto my face. The world around me immediately darkens and I smile as Kat turns up the volume.

"You know," I drawl out to Kat, who was still ignoring me due to my tardiness of five whole minutes, "I found the most gorgeous pair of sunglasses the other day from Miami, but I have no idea who to give it to..." I drift off nonchalantly while glancing at my nails.

"Oh come on Summer, you know I love you right? We're literally soulmates in the most platonic way possible," Kat bursts out without missing a beat. I let out a short laugh and shake my head at her sudden 180° change of mood. 

As we slow to a stop at the traffic light, I pull out the pair of sunnies I was referring to earlier and hand it over to Kat who was trying her best to keep her eyes on the road. The frame was a sleek cat-eye shape with a dark chestnut tint. I watch amusingly as she fumbles to swap her current sunnies out for the new ones.

"How do I look?" Kat pouts jokingly, turning her body to face me. 

"Exactly like how your name sounds," I snicker.

"So hot as fuck? Aw babe I know." She throws back, winking.

I roll my eyes, "Hey hottie, the lights are green by the way."

"Oops, whatever," Kat mumbles as she throws up an apologetic wave to the car behind. 

I turn my attention to the car's dashboard. Normal people have normal hobbies, right? Like crocheting or drawing or whatever. Kat? She's a little different from the others. While you might've been busy spending your time learning the guitar, Kat was busy collecting sunglasses.

Displayed all over her dashboard, for the entire world to see, is a row of at least twenty sunnies. From every colour to every shape you know, Kat's got it. I have a hunch that she's secretly a spy, working for the OSS or whatever.

Finally, the familiar site of our grey and boring school building comes into view as we pull into the senior's parking lot. Swinging my legs out of the car, I sling my bag across my shoulder, push my sunnies up and scan the lot for our friends.

"Bet you five bucks that the gang forgot school even starts today," Kat half jokes as she walks around to me. As if right on cue, Kayla calls over to us from across the parking lot, waving her arms like a mad women. Chuckling, I nudge the car door close with my hip.

"Pay up, hottie," I smirk as we make our way towards Kayla.

"I already do with my looks," Kat replies as she blows me an air kiss, flipping her hair over her shoulders dramatically. Before I could reply, a familiar silver jeep cuts me off with a double honk.