12

ROSE

I didn't tell Tobias about the encounter I had with his wife. I was not in the mood to explain everything that went down, nor did I want to be met with his judgemental look for not telling him about it earlier. It was too exhausting to even think about it, let alone word it out.

The morning after his wife visited, Tobias went to do grocery shopping. It was the smartest decision he had made since I came here, as the news had reported a nasty storm that could take up to five days.

The clouds in the sky were gloomy, and the thunders were loud, chilling. The wind was strong and it was the first time I saw Tobias put his car in the garage. He made some preparation in case the electricity went out, and pre-cooked a few meals to have just in case.

Truth be told, we did not speak much. Furthermore, he tried to engage in a conversation, multiple times. Once he finally realized that I was ignoring him or replying with short, unbothered words, he stopped talking completely.

Soon, it was dark outside and the rain began to pour. The harsh wind made me flinch a few times and although it was rather warm in the house, I felt myself chilling. I always hated storms and hoped this one wouldn't last as long.

Granted, it was autumn, and storms weren't unexpected at this time of the year, however, it didn't make me mentally prepared. I wasn't afraid, more like uneasy. Somehow, thoughts of the worst possible scenario came to mind. And the chances of those happening were slim to none. The storm was told to be passing, and it was advised to stay indoors until the worst wave was over.

I grabbed something to eat from his fridge and then walked towards the stairs, ready to take my afternoon nap. I stopped dead in my tracks at the sound of his piano playing downstairs.

Come to think of it, I used to be such a curious cat, and not once did I actually think of going down there to see what he was hiding.

If I was sure of anything, it was that Tobias was truly talented. I was never particularly interested in any instruments, however, the sound that was coming from the basement was alluring. Just like the first time I heard it, it captivated me, and soon enough, my feet moved on their own accord, slowly walking down the stairs.

It didn't matter if I liked or hated Tobias — his music forced me to love the sounds he was creating. It was absolutely breathtaking. And it didn't matter if I wanted to leave, since my stance on it hadn't changed, but for the time being, I allowed myself to be consumed by the tunes he'd set.

And with each step I took, I felt myself barely breathing. The thunder outside had gotten stronger, and the storm was there. I wasn't afraid because my ears blocked out every sound aside from the pain that came from the piano he was playing.

I was near the door sooner than I'd hoped. I remained silent, unmoving and I enjoyed the blissful yet sorrowful melodies that filled his entire house. I hid behind the wall and leaned against it, closed my eyes and simply enjoyed it.

A tear had slipped down my cheek, and I couldn't understand why. Soon enough, it became clear to me that everything that Tobias was playing came straight from his heart. Sometimes, it would switch to a lighter tune and a small smile would tug on the corner of my lips, before suddenly, it would turn into something vicious, dark and painful.

Abruptly, a desire had woken inside of me. It stirred me up and it made my mind go completely blank. My heart took the lead and the impulse to see his face whilst his long, slender fingers touched the keys so roughly was unable to remain hidden.

I stepped from the hiding spot, though, since his eyes were already glued to the spot I'd appeared in, I knew that he was already aware of my presence.

Everything went black. The power went out and the worst thunder I'd witnessed in my entire life echoed outside, giving small light through the tiny window above Tobias. It lit his face perfectly and I gasped silently in awe.