「Thirteen Dead」

She wasn't supposed to be in the high school—she knew that. In all honesty, she wasn't sure what made her decide to slip into the gates just before the bell rang. Maybe it was her curiosity (Hisashi was always telling her that her curiosity was going to get her into trouble) or maybe it was because she was tired of her own school (ever since her encounter with Miku, people had been whispering about her every time she turned a corner); whatever it was she was actually glad she did it.

As she wondered the halls, amazed by everything she saw, she thought about what she would say to Hisashi if he saw her, though, because 'Sorry, I decided to transfer early' probably wasn't going to cut it.

And speak of the freaking devil.

Hisashi was walking to his next class with Takashi. He had finally gotten the nerve to move his relationship with Rei into something more concrete, but he wanted to check with Takashi before he talked to her, trying desperately hard not to hurt his friend.

"You wouldn't mind then?" he checked, doubtful. "If I asked Rei out, it wouldn't be awkward?"

Takashi shrugged like he always did. "Do what you want; you guys have basically been dating since we were hit high school anyway," he said in typical Takashi fashion.

Hisashi had expected this reply. Every time the subject of Rei's relationship with him came up, Takashi shut off. That was Takashi's coping mechanism, but it was one that was slowly wearing him down.

Then, without warning something struck Takashi, making him look at Hisashi with more interest than he'd shown all day. "What about Yuki?"

Hisashi blinked. Why would he bring her up? "What about her?"

"Aren't you two together?" he asked.

"No," Hisashi said, chuckling a bit at the thought. "Yuki and I are just friends."

"Huh," was Takashi's intelligent reply. "I could've sworn..."

"That we were a couple?" he finished for him. "No, Yuki is more like my little sister than anything else."

Takashi looked skeptical. "According to who? You?"

Hisashi laughed, full and loud. Everyone looked at them, suddenly interested, but he didn't pay them any mind as he looked at his best friend, grinning. "Dude, trust me when I say there's nothing there—between either of us."

"I don't know, man; she's always following you around," he muttered, suddenly uncomfortable.

"Lately, she's been with you," he pointed out. "When was the last time you two weren't together after school?"

Takashi shrugged, now very uncomfortable. "That's different."

Hisashi smiled. "What's with the sudden interest in Yuki's love life anyway?"

"I'm not interested in her love life," Takashi said, rolling his eyes. "I just thought it'd be pretty shitty to cheat on her with her best friend, that's all."

"And what? I strike you as someone who would do that?" he challenged, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, no, but—"

Hisashi snickered. "Face it, Takashi. You're worried about Yuki." He knew he looked smug, but he couldn't help it; this was gold. "What happened to being too 'tired' to deal with another person? Thought Rei was already too much of a handful?"