Chapter 17

Chapter 17-Safe & Sound

I remember tears streaming down your face

When I said, I'll never let you go

When all those shadows almost killed your light

I remember you said, don't leave me here alone

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes

The sun is going down

You'll be alright

No one can hurt you now.

Taylor Swift- Safe & Sound

Light grey cloudsdrifted aimlessly hiding the beautiful blue sky above, chilling the air. Rays of the sun tried to break through but to no avail. The city was bustling with travellers and merchants looking to satisfy their needs.

I walked quietly beside Alistair; dozens of guards surrounded us, keeping us safe from any 'of the moment' assassins. A grotesque smell filled my nose as we passed the fish market; I covered my nose to stop myself from gaging.

Rain poured down a shop's rooftop and splattered onto the cobblestone steps only inches from me. I jumped quickly out of the way and collided into Alistair's side., He managed to reach out in time to stop us both from falling down.

As I straightened myself up, I took that opportunity to look at Alistair's face. His eyes looked absent even as he slipped his hand into mine. "Alistair, it's going to be alright." My attempts at trying to reassure him were useless but it didn't hurt to try.

"You keep telling yourself that, darling." Alistair muttered sarcastically.

Frowning at him, I crossed my arms and pursed my lips to show I wasn't playing any games. This didn't seem to bother him as he took back my hand and pulled me along. I didn't speak as we walked, with his hand tightening around my wrist it started to feel uncomfortable yet he didn't seem to notice.

"Alistair." I said loud enough for him to hear, but he ignored me. I carried on calling out to him but this just seemed to make him go faster until his grip around my wrist started to hurt. I couldn't contain myself as I screamed out his name. Jerking my hand away, I wringed my wrist side-to-side rubbing at the red mark.

As Alistair turned he must have realised what had happened because his gaze turned to sorrow. Instantly, he was at my side apologising and trying to look at my wrist. Groaning, I snatched my hand from his. "Alistair, I'm leaving."

"I know." He said, lifelessly.

"You're not going to see me for a very long time." This was my last chance to prove to him that I knew what I was doing. He didn't trust me to look after myself. I knew he thought I was unstable in my own mind.

"I know." He said again.

I reached up and rested my hand on his cheek. "I will come back." It was a promise, both to him and me.

Alistair hesitated, opening his mouth as if to speak but instead a small tear rolled down his cheek. I knew something like this had been building up inside him ever since I had told him I wanted to leave without him. Reaching up, I smoothed the tear from his cheek. He nuzzled his head into my hand before saying. "Don't make me promises you might not be able to keep."

He was right.

How could I make him promises? We are partners. We share our doubts, don't we?

I sighed. "I will try to come back."