"You're majesty wishes to speak to me?" This man was clearly bemused by that fact. Tomas wasn't a handsome man; Alistair knew that straight off. His eyes were like slits under large bushy eyebrows. His lips were thin, and Alistair could see they were chapped. His hair was a lot longer and scruffier than when they set off for Cumberland, seven months ago.

"Yes, privately. If that's alright?" Alistair couldn't believe he was doing this. Even with the ache to get back to bed he knew this had to be done. He motioned for Tomas to follow him across the courtyard and into one of three kitchens. This one in particular was for the guards. He could hear someone scuttling round in the small larder off to the side but it didn't matter.

Alistair turned to Tomas who watched him eagerly. "I need you to do something for me because I know you and Cameron have become more than just acquaintances." He hesitated.

"You're majesty?"

"As you must know, Cameron is leaving in a few days for Antiva. I must ask you to go with her." As soon as he said the words, the glow in Tomas' eyes, when he registered what Alistair said, had been enough for him to want to take back his words, however Alistair also realised that he could trust this man, with every inch of his soul, to keep her safe.

So he didn't say anything as Tomas reached out his hand to shake Alistair's. "I'd be honoured."

X X X

Cameron

Picking up speed, I rolled away from Trainer Grady's blade as it sliced into the air My body fills with adrenaline as he regains his composure and turns on me. No training for months was showing as I hesitated before lunging towards Grady. The odds, however, were against me as Grady tackled me. If he didn't cradle me against him, I would have surely knocked my head on the ground.

"You need more training." His tone was serious and very different from the playful taunting from when we first began.

"I'll try harder." My hands tightened on the swords against my waist. Grady still hadn't let go, which made me fell uncomfortable. I wriggled my hips to signal to him, which must have worked because a frown creased onto his forehead, and he jumped to his feet.

"No."

"What? I don't understand." And I didn't. Was he saying I was useless? That there was no point trying harder if I couldn't do the simple basics anymore?

"You are in pain. Every thing you threw my way caused you agony. Didn't it?" He said this as he was helping me to my feet.

"Yes, but I can work through that." I squeezed the swords tighter to me afraid he was going to snatch them away.

Grady sighed. "No." He said again, but carried on before I could argue, "Have you ever tried archery?" This question caught me off guard. When I was a teenager, Archery had just been a hobby of mine, a secret hobby, because of my age, mother never would have approved.

"Yes I have. Why?"

"It's time to put them away." He gestured to the daggers in my hands.

That was how I found myself only five minutes later with a quiver of arrows over my shoulder and a bow I held loosely in my hands. In truth, I wasn't happy to give up my daggers for a bow and arrow because it meant coming out of my comfort zone. Yes, I had done it as a hobby, but that was nearly twenty years ago, there was a lot to catch up on.

Grady set up targets for me around the small empty field. The ground was still wet from the previous few days of rain. And the air smelt musty against the cool heat of the sun. In the corner of my eye I could see Alistair watching me, like he has been doing all day, yet not once has he tried to speak to me.