Before I could think to speak, or even think at all, I hung up the phone, my chest heaving.

"Like you hurt me?" I whispered to no one. "I could never."

She said you're not that terrible.

Those words sang in my head, but by the time the bitter cold air hit my cheeks, they were barely a whisper. For a moment, the cold was a haven, and was nearly enough to have me ducking back inside, but the reminder of my brother's voice was just enough to keep me moving. The panic that squeezed my chest that reminded me that this was better off.

It would do us all a favor.

My feet pounded hard against the pavement, my breath like white smoke against the night air. My lungs and my body screamed for me to stop, but my head was louder. It always would be.

There were suddenly voices not far off, nearly enough to catch me off guard. I couldn't have run very far, not with the familiar surroundings around me, but I didn't recognize the voices. The shouts of displeasure and taunting at whoever was the culprit.

That made me shake my head, suddenly angered that that had been enough to deter me, and felt the flood of anxiety as I began to pick up my pace. Just a robbery I wanted no part of.

Although, the shouts and the taunting seemed to grow louder, and just when I thought I might be in the clear, a voice called out to me.

"Hey! Is that Carter Wright?"

That made me slow my steps, turning to find two darkly clothed men making their way toward me. I shouldn't have been afraid, not with our height differences and their skinny, stick-figure-like bodies, but I couldn't help the pulse that began to pick up inside my chest.

They came toward me, closer now, to which had me taking a step back, afraid that if they came any closer, they would be able to make out the fear I hardly had the strength to hide. I wanted nothing more than to continue down the path I was headed, to put an end to the misery that this night only reminded me of.

I heard one of them chuckle. "What? Are you scared?"

"It is him," the other smirked. "Awe, look. The big bad Wright is afraid. What are you doing on this part of town? Shouldn't you be locked away in your mansion with all your maids and pretty women."

"Man, I wish I had that." Said the one with wide, full lips that felt more devilish than friendly.

"Too bad we ended up in prison." The other replied. He looked at me, a dark look crossing over his features that made my stomach churn, absentmindedly taking another step back. Could only pray that the dark hid my suddenly fearful gaze.

As it filled me, begging me to put the distance between us, movement to my left suddenly caught my attention. I hardly paid it mind, afraid to look away from the men whose laughter rung in my ears.

It was only when the sound of a gasp and the sound of a muffled cry filled the silent air that I forced my gaze away from the two men and toward the dark alley. I noticed the two struggling figures immediately, the shouting.

I could tell the one was female, pushed up against the wall as the man pickpocketed what could only have been a purse. When she struggled, he slapped her, the sound ringing through my ears.