Cookies pt. 1 (Davey x Reader)

Hey guys! So this story was originally published in my book Oneshots and Randomness, but I've moved it here. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first Newsies oneshot and first x reader! Enjoy!

Also, go check out the works of

PineapplesAndPapes

cloudkissed

E_J_Hawthorne

DaydreamShimmer

Drama-freak

NSTOBI1992

FameWorksQuicker

FancyClamWiddaPoyle

They're all so amazing! Now onto the one shot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You are absolutely insane!"

"I bet you say that to all of your irritating siblings."

"I mean it this time, Y/N. What on earth were you thinking?!"

"Right now I'm thinking about getting these cookies out of the oven before they burn."

"Not that. You know what I mean!"

"Since when have you been Mr. Responsibility anyway, Jack Kelly?"

Jack pursed his lips and glared at you. You simply glared back at him, your e/c eyes narrowing. Seventeen years of dealing with your older brother had given you a lot of practice in standing your ground in petty arguments, which were usually settled in a few minutes, but some (like this one it seemed) could go on for quite a while longer.

"Come on Jack," you whined. "you an' the boys have done much crazier things and got off just fine!" You batted your eyelashes and smiled hopefully. You had been blessed with the perfect tool for mischief making – an angelic face, complete with a sweet smile and framed by h/c curls (sorry if you have straight hair, just roll with it). After a few moments of silence, Jack sighed. You felt like punching your fist in the air. You knew that it was childish, but there was nothing like that feeling of knowing you'd won an argument with your sibling. "Fine. But I'm coming with you." Your face fell, but before you could respond Jack continued. "No buts, that's the condition of you going on this death quest." You considered for a few moments before nodding, silently telling yourself that you'd lose him along the way (the boy's sense of direction was absolutely trash and you'd spent far too many hours wondering around the neighbourhood, so it really wouldn't be too much of a challenge). "I just hope you have a plan." Your face split into a wide smile and your e/c eyes glinted mischievously. "Oh, most definitely."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plan was (as you explained to Jack whilst icing the cookies), in its essence, a very necessary form of payback. You had discovered a few years back that you were unfortunate enough to live a street or two away from the Delancey Brothers, (Well, really it was the boys who had discovered it, but you had plied them with questions after discovering them sneaking back into the house at midnight carrying several toilet roll holders suspiciously lacking their coverings.) and had been storing the information until the perfect time came to use it. That time, it seemed, was now. The Delanceys had always been jerks, but after Crutchie's crutch had gone missing only to be found in the boys' bathroom, Specs's glasses had been broken and Davey's textbooks had been wedged into the crook of a tree all within the span of three days you had decided that enough was enough. It was the last incident that had really confirmed your decision to act, but you didn't tell Jack that. Instead you ended your spiel whilst rummaging around in the fridge. "That's all well and good," he said from behind you, "but where do the cookies come in?"

"You honestly think so little of me that it seems impossible that I'd simply make cookies for the fun of it?" Jack rolled his eyes.

"If those cookies were for you, you wouldn't have iced 'em." It was true. You didn't despise icing, but you preferred your cookies plain. However, the cinnamon frosting looked damn good on the apple-and-nutmeg cookies if you did say so yourself. It didn't hurt that Davey had mentioned a few weeks ago that these were his favourite kind of cookie and you had spent the duration of your baking afternoon imagining spending a rainy afternoon drinking tea and eating biscuits with him. "You got me there. These cookies are going to serve as our cunning disguise." You finished your digging around in the fridge and whip around to grin at Jack, holding a half dozen eggs in your two hands. "Now, pass me a container will ya?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was just beginning its gentle descent over the horizon by the time you and Jack set out for the Delanceys' house, you carrying a box filled with a dozen of the exquisite cookies precariously balanced on the half-dozen eggs with only a thin layer of paper towel separating the two. Their house was a two-story building that looked smarmy, if a house could, and seemed to sneer at you as you stared at the front door. "So what do we do now?" Jack asked you. "I..." you faltered. Your plan had only extended to getting to the Delanceys' house with the cookies in tow so if any nosy neighbours were to ask you your business you could reply that you were delivering cookies to a friend (even though the Delanceys were anything but.) "Look, it's one thing to think about egging somebody's house and another thing to actually do it. You've gotta have a plan, Y/N."

"You and the boys never plan anything!" You shot back.

"Have you tried planning something involving Racetrack Higgins?" Jack ran a hand over his face and pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Hold up a second. I'm going to call someone quickly." He wondered away down the street, already deep in conversation. You felt your face heating and knew that it was probably cherry red. Everyone always assumed that you were the "goody two-shoes" compared to your brother, even though some of the things you'd planned would put even him to shame! Well, it probably didn't help that you hadn't done any of them yet... but that wasn't going to be the case today. You reached into the cookie box, carefully shifting its contents around until you grabbed one of the eggs. Holding the box in one hand and the egg in the other, you threw it. Hard. It made a satisfying crunch as it hit the dark oak wood of the front door, and you were reaching for another one when a flicker of movement from the upstairs window of the house caught your eye. Shoot. If one of the Delanceys was to walk out right now, you would be caught red-handed, and no amount of baking could save you. You bolted across the street and furiously started ringing the doorbell of the house opposite to the Delanceys'. One of Jack's friends lived here, you remembered, though you couldn't think of who. It bugged you that you couldn't remember, but the small part of your brain that was puzzling over it was overshadowed by the larger part that was screaming "Get out of the road you nitwit!" You glanced behind you and saw that the egg-stained door was (thankfully) still closed, but for how much longer you didn't know. Suddenly the door in front of you opened and you saw a very confused-looking Davey peering out at you. "Y/N? Can I help you-"

"Yesthankyoucouldyouletmeintoyourhouseplease?" you said in the space of one breath.

"Ok, sure, what's-" Davey said, looking even more confused, but before he could finish you had already ducked under his arm and run into the house, pushing the door closed behind you. Once it had shut with a satisfying click, the full situation began to sink in. You were standing in Davey Jacobs's front hall with a box of cookies in one hand and an egg in the other, probably still red-faced and definitely still a mess, with your h/c hair stuffed into a messy bun at the nape of your neck. "Davey, I-" you began, but before you could get any further the door opened again and Jack walked into the room, wearing an expression somewhere between a smirk and a glare. As if there wasn't enough awakwardness in the room already. Glancing between the two of them, you opted for the simplest possible explanation that was sure to ease the tension at least a little.

"Cookies, anyone?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! So yeah this is my first ever x reader story, sorry if it's not very good an also that it's a bit long. I'm planning to post Part 2 tomorrow because for the first time in forever (had to do it) I actually feel like writing. Hope y'all enjoyed, and please feel fee to comment/request! (just please keep it clean).

Bye!

Jess Celeste.