1

it's a brand new school year at a new school in a new city

nate's parents help him move into his dorm with big cheesy smiles plastered on their faces, hoping this fresh start will be good for him.

he doesn't listen nor does he respond as his parents give him a speech about studying hard and not losing focus. his mom kisses both his cheeks, and his dad gives him a pat on the back before they tell him goodbye and leave to catch their flight back home.

as he's unpacking his clothes, he gets an incoming call from maddy. he lets it ring a couple of times, debating with himself if he should or shouldn't answer.

he doesn't answer.

the reason he chose a college so far from home is so he could start fresh without any heavy baggage— maddy being his heaviest one.

after he finishes situating himself into his room, he goes down to the lobby to meet with his residential assistant as he was instructed to.

"name?" she asks.

"nathaniel jacobs."

she scans a never- ending list of names and asks if he can verify some information for her.

"what's your room number?"

"324."

"is it a single or double occupancy room?"

"single."

she gives him a few informational packets and a university t- shirt and sends him on his merry way.

he doesn't stay in the lobby to mix and mingle with the other freshmen but instead goes back to his room to nap before his teammates' party tonight.

to say he isn't excited is lying. he's looking forward to it— most importantly, to the girls.