The Best Woman - Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

He can go to hell. They both can.

***

Four days is how long we've all ignored each other.

In that time, I've only spoken to Lucy as we fixed a date and venue. She's chosen her invitations, and they're off to print. I know everything I need to know now so, thankfully; I don't need to see them.

Not that I mind seeing Lucy, but she might bring Dayton with her.

I'm still so mad at him for treating me like I'm a kid.

Whatever happens – or doesn't – with Bentley, it's none of his business.

Dayton's always had everything together. He's calm, never rebelled, got straight A's, found a career he loves four seconds after finishing college, and met the love of his life.

That takes years for some people.

He expects the same from his brother and me. He doesn't struggle with anything, so why would anyone else?

I love the idiot, but he makes me feel like a failure sometimes.

Poor Callie, can't find a great man.

Whatever.

I'm in the office, working my way through different flower arrangements that Lucy has said she likes. I'm compiling a collage to show her so she can pick her favourite. Then I'll book it in with the florist.

I love doing this. I'm probably the most organised and efficient person in my work life. If only I could carry that across to my personal life.

I'm startled when someone knocks on the door.

I peer over my screen and see Bentley through the glass. Great.

Closing the laptop, I gesture for him to come inside.

He walks in without a word, and his eyes never leaving mine as he closes the door behind him.

"You're really good at the silent treatment, Callie."

"I could say the same for you."

"I'm here now, aren't I?" he says, taking a seat as if he's been invited. "Dayton fucking lost it."

"What happened?"

"The usual. He warned me away from you."

"You're doing a very poor job of that."

"I told him where to go."

I can imagine that. Bentley does not like being told what to do.

"People really need to calm down. I don't know why they spend so much time worrying about what we do." I shake my head. "You shouldn't be here."

"Why not?"

"You know exactly why."

God, I wish I wasn't attracted to him.

"Callie, I'm not pretending that you don't exist because everyone else has a problem with us talking."

"Us talking isn't what they have a problem with!"

"I don't care about that either. How are we supposed to ignore each other? You're my brother's best mate!"

"We've spent a lot of time together recently, and it's... made things foggy. If we step back, things can go back to normal."

"Back to normal?"

"Bentley, please. We're not going to start some friends with benefits thing, so let's move past it. I've never been able to keep feelings out of sex."

He stares, his eyes pulling me under some sort of spell.

Bad. Idea.

"Bentley!"

"What's going on?"

We both look around to see Lucy and Dayton in the doorway.

I hadn't even noticed them approaching.

Bentley rolls his eyes. "Nothing, just seeing what I need to do. Doesn't Callie have the list of jobs for all?"

I lick my dry lips. Actually, I do have a list for the best man. It includes picking up the wedding rings, getting suits fitted for the men, and, of course, the stag party.

"I can text it to you," I tell him.

He tilts his head. "How impersonal."

Lucy looks between Dayton and us. She straightens her back. "Well, that's all fabulous. Callie, can I see the flowers? I'm dying to pick out my bouquet."

I tear my eyes away from Bentley. Opening my laptop, I stand. "Take my seat, it's on there now."

I move past her, to the danger zone. Both brothers are this side of the desk.

"I'm sorry for the other day," Dayton says. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

We all hear Bentley's teeth snap together.

"I'll get out of your way," he says, standing up and scowling at his brother.

Dayton stands his ground. "I don't want you getting hurt either."

He makes a face like that is the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard. Difficult not to that that one personally. "I'm not going to. Later."

We all watch as he storms out of my office and slams the door behind him.

"Dayton!" Lucy scolds. "He's not a child."

"You don't know him like I do, Luce, okay."

"Callie isn't a kid, either."

Here, here.

"Doesn't mean he wouldn't hurt her. I've seen what he does to women."

"Don't," I say. "Don't make him sound like some abuser."

"That's clearly not what I meant. He has the best intentions, but it never plays out."

Lucy frowns. "Maybe he's not found the right one yet."

Can you tell she's a romantic?

"Let's drop this. Picking flowers should be fun for Lucy, and you're bringing us down."

"I'm not trying to piss you off, Callie."

"Then stop talking!"

"Ooh, here are the girls?"

My eyes widen at Lucy's announcement. "The what?"

I look over just as her evil besties burst through the door. I should have left with Bentley.

"Oh, hello, Callie," Dawn says as if it's shocking to see me in my place of work.

"Flowers are on the screen," I reply, waving my hand in Lucy's direction. I'm not in the mood to play nice today.

Dayton narrows his eyes. "Please," he whispers.

Oh, I'm the one creating all the hostility? I don't think so!

I smile sweetly. "Can I get anyone a drink?"

I need a really big one.

"I'll just be a minute," Dayton says to Lucy.

The look her friends give us as he pulls me outside the office could melt icecaps.

I close the door. "What?"

"How long had he been here?"

"You know what, Dayton, if I want to sleep with your brother, I will."

I barge past him, leaving him with his mouth on the floor.

Yes, I'm aware that I have stormed out of my own office. That's how pissed off I am. He can quit acting like my brother, or we're going to have a lot of problems.

Screw it. I'm going to find Bentley.