"The fuck are you doing, Chou. GET AWAY FROM MY GIRLFRIEND!"

***

Tzuyu was feeling anxious as the hours of the day wore on. She hadn't seen Nayeon all day... and they usually met early in the mornings for coffee on the days they didn't see each other in lectures. But today, she had called to tell her something came up and she couldn't come.

"I'm sorry, Tzuyu." Her voice sounded tired; strained with a heavy emotion that Tzuyu wasn't sure she was familiar with. "I've just got so much on today... things are popping up left and right... work's a mess right now." She sighed.

Tzuyu had never heard so many excuses before. She never usually used excuses. She never usually sounded this tired.

"Oh." Tzuyu didn't quite know what to say. She was already on the bus on the way to their usual café. She felt pained to hear Nayeon sound so... defeated. "That's okay, unnie. Things happen."

She noticed Nayeon's sharp intake of breath at her use of the word 'unnie'. She had always been rather touchy about Tzuyu's use of it, insisting again and again that she not use the word with her, but Tzuyu didn't quite understand. It seemed weirder not to use it.

"I've got to go." Nayeon's tone was so low and defeated that it felt like a physical stab to Tzuyu's own chest. "I... I..." Nayeon started to say something, before breaking off with another sigh. "I'll see you at lunch?"

"Okay." She replied before Nayeon ended the call.

It was nearing lunch, and Tzuyu was starting to prepare to make her way across campus to the library where Nayeon and her often met before leaving and eating off the premises. She wondered if she should ask her what was going through her mind this morning? She wondered if it would be better to distract her by buying her favourite foods and drinks instead. Maybe she would ease her mind by reminding her of the times just a few months ago that they would spend together in the lecture hall after class. Nayeon always liked to reminisce on those sorts of things. Tzuyu liked to too. Especially because all those moments were with Nayeon.

She stood from her seat at the park bench outside her Korean tutorial room and slung her backpack over her shoulder and started to run through the things she would ask and tell Nayeon when they met up.

Nayeon, you look so pretty!

I have some money saved up from last week. Do you want me to buy you some bubble tea?

I love you!

The truth was, Tzuyu had never said 'I love you' to Nayeon. Not once. She knew she would have to at some point. She would have to soon or it would probably burst from her chest unannounced. And for some reason Tzuyu had it in her head that saying 'I love you' for the first time should be special and sacred and beautiful. And that time just hadn't come yet. She just hoped that she wouldn't accidentally blurt it out when they met up this afternoon... that would be super awkward.

She checked the time on her phone. 12:35. Time to get going. Nayeon came out of her lectures in ten minutes and took five minutes to walk to the library. She wanted to be there on time and not waste any more of her day feeling restless and anxious without her.

She shot a quick text to Chaeyoung letting her know where she would be so she wouldn't get worried when she didn't see her at lunch with Dahyun and the others later on and began to walk to the other side of campus.