He unknowingly winced.

He knew he shouldn't stand in her way for the broken man inside him had nothing happy to offer to her, but he just couldn't watch her belong to anyone but him.

He just couldn't!

"I'll talk to Ammi; we'll figure something out" he squeezed her hand in resolution with determined eyes.

If you don't want it, it won't happen.

But Zoya just looked at him with helpless eyes, as she whispered.

"Phuphi suggested it"

A coffee mug tipped.

He couldn't believe this! Ammi knew? And way worse than that, she suggested it?

How were they supposed to talk her Aapi out of this? He knew Zoya's Aapi and Ammi were close. He had often heard them chitchatting, sometimes for hours on end. And if his Ammi was behind this, it had got to be serious business.

Wait, what if she actually convinces her...no no Zoya would never...but she does love Ammi a lot...maybe she will say yes...NO!

With a resolute mind and clenched fists, he marched over to his Ammi's room.

Zoya gaze moved from his disappearing figure towards the glass table in wonder.

Forget about the groom from hell...Mr. OCD Ahmed Khan hadn't thrown a fit over the spilled coffee for once...the man didn't even flinch!

xx

"If you came to talk about, what Zoya came to talk about a few minutes ago then let me tell you, there's nothing to talk about" she said as her son opened the door to her room.

Dilshad had an idea or two about his reaction after the news broke, so she had purposely disappeared for the rest of the day.

She wasn't even surprised when Zoya ambushed her as soon as she stepped in, with Asad close in tow.

She watched him now as he impatiently shifted his weight from one foot to another, hands in his pocket.

"Ammi, I don't think we should interfere in their family matters"

Dilshad eyebrows shot up as she hid a smirk.

"I'm not Asad, Zoya thinks of us as family and she doesn't think I am interfering. In fact, ab to yeh zaruri hai ki tum bhi ladke se mil lo."

Now what fresh hell was this? And how long have they been planning this? And when did Zoya meet the loser?

"Does she know him?" he didn't realise he had said that out loud until Dilshad answered.

"Jee haan, jaanti hai, pehchanti hai aur mujhe yakeen hai ki pasand bhi karti hai. Tabhi toh usne haan kehdi" she chattered on cheerily not realizing the electric reaction beside her. Or maybe she did. Good!

Asad felt the hot coffee spilling over again, just this time he was the table. His heart splintered and fell at his feet.

Haan Kehdi?

"Asad" she said laughingly looking at his crestfallen face "acha ladka hai trust me"

Huh!

It was when his Ammi started walking towards him, his mind kicked back into the horror movie his reality was becoming.

No, No, No, No, No...there is absolutely no need for any more information.

There was no way he would be able to restrain himself from "accidentally" going out and breaking the sucker's face. He didn't need to know who he was and where he lived.

And what the hell was wrong with Ms. Faaroqui? Vaise ton bahut zubaan chalti hai. Why was she not saying anything...was what Ammi said true...did she really want this? She was only doing this for her Aapi right? ... right?

As he turned to leave the room before his mind became a pile of miserable and agitated confetti, Dilshad grabbed his hand and shoved him towards the dressing table.

"What" he questioned as she pointed at his reflection in the mirror, his voice detached.

"Arre dulhe se milo bhai, dulhe se milwa rahi hu"

Huh!

His Ammi watched realisation dawning as the indifferent mask slowly slipped away.

"Maine kaha tha na acha ladka hai" she smiled.

xx