Reconciling

I pull up to my dad and step mom's house for our weekly dinner together. There's another car in the driveway that I don't recognize, but I ignore it thinking it's just Alex's new girlfriend.

Someone is standing next to my dad by the grille, but all I see is the back of his head. Black hair, arm and leg tattoos, he looks familiar. Ignoring them, I walk inside and find my step mom, Sherry, in the kitchen working on a salad to go with the burgers my dad is making.

"Need any help?" I ask, surprising her as she turns around.

She hands me the salad bowl and spoons "If you could finish mixing this that would be great." She notices me staring out the patio doors as I'm mixing the salad "Did your dad tell you Justin was going to be here?"

I stop what I'm doing and stand there in shock. Justin? As in Justin Theroux? He turns around and it answers my question. I look at Sherry completely surprised "No, I had no idea. Is he staying for dinner?"

"Yeah." She replies, kinda surprised that I would even ask. I should know by now that her and my dad would let anyone here.

We finish making everything then all sit down to eat. My dad being the person he is, has Justin and I sit right next to each other. He's been on me since we broke up to get back together and now he finally has the chance. It's been about 3 weeks since that night we saw each other and we've been texting occasionally, but haven't really seen each other since.

"So, Justin, do you have a place in LA?" My dad asks. I glare over at him knowing exactly what he's doing.

"Well," Justin pauses before answering "I technically do, but it's an apartment and I can't stand the landlord, I'm trying to find my own place just haven't had time."

My dad seems to think the situation is good, because he smiles and looks across at me then to Justin "Jen has plenty of extra room, you could always stay with her."

I take the hint and reluctantly agree to it "Yeah, I don't really know what to do with the extra room, it would be nice to have some company." I guess it wouldn't be so bad, just kinda weird.

Justin looks at me to make sure I'm serious about this. He gives me the look of 'You don't have to', but I just nod my head in agreement letting him know it's okay. "Okay, I think I will do that."

"So," Sherry cuts in "Are you working on anything special Justin?"

He puts his utensils down as of he's thinking about it "Right now I'm just editing and doing some rewrites."

"That's cool. You were always a great writer." I add.

After a dinner of almost silence after that, we all clean up. Justin decides it's time to leave, so I go with him having him follow me back to my house. We get there and I let him in, showing him to the living room and making my way to the kitchen to get a bottle of white wine. Most people would feel uncomfortable in this situation, I mean, your dad trying to set you up with your ex boyfriend and him now in your house, about to move in with you, it is a little weird, but I can't help feel good about it. Justin and I have definitely had some hard times, and when we broke up I was heartbroken, but now I feel like we could really work out if we tried again.

"Want some?" I ask showing him the bottle of wine and handing him a glass "It's all I have right now."

He pours himself a glass and then me one and hands it to me "Thank you so much for letting me stay here, I hope this isn't weird." He looks in my eyes, and his are full of hope.

"Nope, it's the opposite." I tell him not loosing contact. He surprises me by leaning in and kissing me sweetly. The kiss slowly gets stronger and we let our tongues intertwine until we separate minutes after fighting for breath.

"I'm sorry." He says, slightly embarrassed "I shouldn't have done that."

I don't know what go say, I've missed him so much. It's almost 17 years since we've done that. Instead of saying anything else I move so I'm on his lap, wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. He kisses me back with more passion than before and it brings back so many memories, I never want it to end.

He moves a little so we're more comfortable and puts his glass on the table wrapping his arms around me as we continue to make out. I feel him slowly start to pull away and before I can say anything he opens his mouth "Jen, I can't do this, I won't be able to let you go, and I don't know if this is what you want."

"Justin, you're what I want. You are so much more than I want or need. I never want you to let go."

He pulls me closer, taking the hint and kisses me again, this time short and sweet "Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of it."

"Good, I won't let you get away."