Confessions

Depuis le début

"He went to look for a job," Ma said.

"He's still looking?" Bash asked.

"Yes. He hasn't any luck," Ma had a sad mask plastered on her face.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Ma nodded and went back inside.

Bash was about to walk away, but Mary called after him.

"Bash, I want you to go give the cow a bath!" Mary ordered.

Bash turned his attention to Mary. "I already-"

"Give her one again! And try to get some milk out of her," Mary mounted Stanley, and with a cold voice she said: "and don't call my Pa 'Pa'. That's what I do."

"Yes, ma'am," Bash always said that after Mary gave him orders.

Mary rode away.
******
"Your father is dying," Queen Catherine announced to Francis.

Francis put his head in his hands.

"And as soon as he dies," Catherine continued, "You need a queen to rule by your side in order for you to be king."

"Mother," Francis said in a mournful voice. "I can't think of that at this moment. My father is dying, and I can only think of death."

"There's no point in that," Queen Catherine said in an impatient voice.

"Mother! He is my father and your husband!"

"Don't you see, Francis?! It's better for him to die, then for word to get out that Henry has gone mad! We will lose France!"

"If you want me to wish my father's death, you will not achieve your goal."

"My Queen, sorry to interrupt, but we have a problem!" A guard approached the site where Catherine was.

"What seems to be the problem?" Catherine asked.

"A peasant was caught stealing food from one of Howard's lands. Howard sent a complaint saying that the court needs to deal with the subject."

"Put it in the dungeon," Catherine said simply. 'It.' As if the person wasn't a person.

"Mother," Francis interfered. "The poor person must need some food. Be a little compassionate."

"Francis, don't argue with me."

"I will. I am the future king of France."

Catherine stared at Francis long and hard. Then she turned to the guard."Bring the peasant to me," Catherine ordered.
*****
Mary tried to yank her wrist away.

"Please let me go!" Mary pleaded. "I won't steal from the king's lands again!" The guard only tightened his grip on Mary even more.

"Oh, c'mon!" Mary exclaimed. "He has so many prahduts! (Again, pronunciation.) It wouldn't hurt him to spare just a lil! I barley have enuff to feed myself!" At that moment another guard approached. "The Queen would like to see the thief," the guard announced. Mary instinctively pulled away. Her heart was beating so hard against her chest. She knew this was very serious if the Queen wanted to see her. The guard yanked Mary forward, but Mary put up a fight. "No! Please! I swear I won't steal again!" She said as she pulled away from the guards arms.

"Guards!" Mary's head perked up. She knew that voice. It was Bash.

All of them stopped what they were doing to look at Bash.

"Who are you?" One of the guards asked.

"I'm her brother-" Bash was interrupted in the middle of his lie.