Ch. 1 | Strike a Match

Start from the beginning

He died a week after getting sick. In true Obi-Wan fashion, he went out with a bang though. He left the bookstore to you and more money than you knew what to do with under the stipulation you 'stay on the right path.'

Sadly, he didn't have any friends or family, just you. You tried your hardest to find an 'Anakin Kenobi' but you couldn't find any information on Obi's brother anywhere in his personal belongings. You even resorted to Google and came up with nothing. He was just an old hermit with a bookstore and an adopted daughter. There was no point in having a funeral service with only you attending but you did purchase a burial plot for him. While standing alone at the cemetery you realized once again just how alone you were.

********

When you opened the bookstore the day after his burial you found something out of place on his desk in his office. Obi was nearly obsessive when it came to keeping the books sorted appropriately so finding a random book on his desk was odd. On top of the strange book was a letter addressed to you in galactic standard.

Before opening the letter, you quickly flipped through the pages of the book to see what it could be about. It looked ancient and unfamiliar. It wasn't something you had read before. Hesitantly, you opened the envelope and read the confusing letter Obi had left you.

If you're reading this it means I've become one with the Force once again and my time with you has ended

If I am gone that means I've done what was required of me and we're one step closer to bringing balance to the Force.
I failed Anakin but I won't fail you or his family.
No one's ever really gone. I will always be with you.
Trust your instincts. Trust the Force.

-Obi Wan Kenobi

*********

The letter was obviously written after he got sick because once again what he was saying didn't make any sense. It didn't mention the book at all but it was obvious he wanted you to read it. That day you sat behind the register of the bookstore you now owned and read the book from front to back.

It was the most interesting book you've ever read and it was right up your alley. The old man must have known that when he left it to you but you weren't sure why he gave it to you after he was gone. You would have loved to read it when you were younger.

The book starts out a long time ago in a galaxy far away and is completely set in space. It was the story of a family that had the misfortune of being very powerful magic wielders. They called it 'the Force' which finally shed some light on what the hell Obi had been talking about towards the end. The good guys were Jedi's and the bad guys were the Sith and both sides had laser swords they called lightsabers. There was the good side of the Force, which was the light and there was the bad side of the Force, which was the dark side. It was literally everything you liked in one book.