Chapter 1

Ally had always felt that she was different, somehow. She had never quite figured it out though, she was too busy with reality. While she had always enjoyed the beauty of fiction, the impossibility factor about it, at the same time, she knew such things were only the product of a large imagination. Even though she had told herself this she often found herself imagining heroines with delicately pointed ears and insect wings or villains with slitted pupils and fangs. she doodled roaring beasts on her math exam and thought about slicing through the clouds with powerful bat wings. Her eyes briefly scanned the problems and shortly scribbled down answers. Ally had no problem with doing the math. She had good grades in the class, but she didn't like math particularly. Finishing the questions, she began on a small sketch of a woman sporting horns and dragon wings, which were folded behind her.

"Psst!" Connell hissed, "you're done already?"

Connell was a total video game nerd. He had light-as-whipped-cream chocolate brown hair and smart emerald eyes. His cheekbones were well defined and he was tall and lean. This made his overall complexion flawlessly gorgeous. He ran track and was extremely athletic. He could have been the most popular kid at Roseville high. The only thing was that he associated himself with Ally.

Ally was skinny but fit. She had long black hair and light olive skin. Her piercing amber gold eyes were the cause of the rumors that snaked their way into the minds of her peers. She was unfortunately graced with these unnatural gold-amber eyes. Along with her tall foreboding figure and sharp cheekbones, she became the image of superiority. And her peers fed lies because of this. Despite her outward appearance, Ally tried her best to be kind and gentle. She also dressed casually to give off the feeling of harmlessness.

The dim classroom was filled with a jumble of broken dialogue and exhausted students. Even the teacher, Mr. Smith was leaning back in his seat and resting his eyes. Math was her last class, and Ally was ready to leave. She checked the clock. 2:50. She still had 25 minutes. Ally sighed. She rubbed her eyes and shifted in her seat. She stared out the window

Ally stared out into the open space behind the clear glass. A snowflake fluttered down. A cloud covered the sun for a moment. She did a double-take, realizing it was the end of the school year. Tomorrow was the last day. Today was supposed to be seventy degrees, at least. She lifted her fingers to the window. It was freezing. Frost had begun to creep down the pane. She just about jumped out of her seat. She shoved the window open quickly and ducked her head through the square opening. The wind tickled her hair and danced across her skin, chilling her to the very core. the light returned and warmed her fingers. The singular road, cracked and infested with weeds and wildflowers, leads down to the middle and elementary school. a grove of trees hid the tennis courts and various other buildings and gyms. A sidewalk with a trailhead started the mountain biking trail. Cars were parked about ten feet below the elevated building.

"Ally! Please sit down!" an exasperated Mr.smith pleaded, followed by snickers from her peers. Ally pulled herself back through the opening and shut the window. The pane was warm again. The ice was gone. Her brow furrowed. Maybe it was only a figment of her imagination. She went back to doodling nonsense on her paper. The bell rang soon enough and she was out of the dungeon in a split second. Connell yelled after her, but Ally ignored him. She slowed down in the hall. She was a bird trying to escape the cage. She could see the sky through an arched window atop the large glass-and-metal double doors. Students were filling out the doors when she pushed her way to the outside.

"Sorry! Excuse me!" she yelled occasionally. People protested and sometimes tried to push back, but they never stopped ally. She clutched the doors and pushed herself outside, before collapsing by a nearby pole, which was holding the overhang of the building. taking long fulfilling breaths. She splayed her legs and closed her eyes.