chapter twenty-two

Start from the beginning

James sauntered towards her and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "We will. I promise."

Allie smiled feebly, one that didn't reach her eyes. "Whatever it takes, right?"

He nodded. "Whatever it takes."

Just when they were about to head out of the hall, they were startled when the floor beneath them suddenly shook hard. A loud blast was heard from the other end of the hall. It sounded like it came from downstairs. Both staggered, leaning against the wall for support.

James looked at Allie, eyes almost bulging out of its sockets. "Wha-what on earth was that?" he exclaimed.

Allie didn't respond. She darted out the hall as fast as she could with James tailing behind her. As soon as she turned a corner, she stopped in her tracks, letting out a shriek.

"Allie!"

She was grateful to see him. "Lucas!" Her eyes went to the numerous agents making their way past them-running past them. With brows raised, she asked, "What's going on?"

Lucas was panting, beads of sweat rested on his forehead. "Loki's here."

Allie paled instantly. "Loki?" she gasped, turning to James who looked just as horrified as she was. He heard the entire exchange. "What's he doing here?"

Lucas shook his head. "I don't know," He wiped the sweat from his face using his arm. "But Mr. Stark instructed us to leave and alert the authorities. CIA, especially."

Her frown got deeper. "CIA? Why the CIA?"

James already made up his mind. "We have to help them."

Lucas grabbed his arm, halting his movements. "We can't! We have to follow orders. As much as any of us are capable to help them, they want zero casualties as much as possible." He argued, "Please. We need to go."

James furrowed his brows, "I'm sorry, Lucas. If I see a situation gone wrong, I can't sit myself out and do nothing, no matter whose orders it came from." He turned to leave. "Sometimes, I wish I could."

Lucas called out to James' retreating form but he paid no attention to him. He focused on Allie instead, "Allie, don't."

"I won't die, I promise."

"Allie."

"I can't leave him." She said firmly, yet there was a hint of sadness engulfing her bright blue eyes. "I'm sorry."

Then off she went too.

"Where are you going? The ballroom's that way!" she shouted.

James slowed down in front of two large doors. He pressed his thumb to the plate, the doors sliding open once it granted him access to the ammunition room. "How are we going to fight if we don't have weapons?" he asked rhetorically.

Point taken. She rifled through the containers, taking two pistols and reloading them in the process. "James," she started, "What do you think he's here for?"

He shrugged off his coat, rolling his sleeves up to where his elbow rested. "I don't know. It can't be the Tesseract since S.H.I.E.L.D's not holding it for years now."

Allie kicked off her heels, grabbing a pair of combat boots from the other shelf. She changed into it. "Whatever he's here for, it can't be good."

James' face darkened. "Of course. It's Loki, everything about him screams trouble."

She gulped, worry filling her features. "Do you think he'll recognize you?"