Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

'Not yours Georgie?' George shook his head and Fred's brow furrowed. Perhaps this was revenge for one of their many pranks, so one couldn't be too careful. Picking up his wand, Fred levitated open the cover, George casting a small shield in case there was a nasty charm hidden inside. Nothing. The book seemed innocent enough, and there wasn't a quidditch game in the world that could be more interesting than a mystery book of mysterious origins on a mysterious topic. Brooms forgotten, they sat on the nearest bed and began to read.

'15th October 1458, To anyone who finds this book I give thee a warning- There is no magic as ancient and deadly as that of the soul, many witches and wizards have gone mad in their quest to seek the power over it, and many more have died trying. Soulbonds cannot be forced, cannot be broken, and must not be tampered with, for the safety of everyone, and the sanctity of magic. Use this book wisely, and use it well. -Cassandra'

George turned the page as the warning sunk in, neither him nor his brother were on any quest for ancient magic, and whatever force had left this book in their possession seemed to agree with them. They'd be careful sure, but the tiny, hidden part of them that was blue and bronze shone through, they had to know more.

Chapter one- soulbonds.

Soulbonds are the greatest ties between wixen possible. Bonded mages can draw power from each other, read each other's minds, and a fully realised soulbond creates an intense surge of power for all bonded. There are four types of soulbond, platonic, romantic, duo and triad.

Platonic-

Platonic soulmates are magically powerful but do not have the same romantic pull, they remain brothers and sisters in all but blood and draw strength from each other but can survive the breaking of a soulbond.

Romantic-

Romantic soulmates are the strongest of the two, being able to sire extremely powerful offspring and read each other's minds. However, if this soulbond should break, with the death of any of the bonded, or its rejection, then all bonded will most likely die, succumbing to an overwhelming grief that depletes their will to continue living.

Duo-

Duo bonds are simply between two wixen, and are extremely stable. These bonds become the foundation for most soulmagic and two bonded are usually opposites that balance each other out.

Triad-

Triad bonds follow the arithmetic truth of three being a magically significant number. Therefore triad bonds are more powerful, if less unstable. It's likely triad bonded wixen will not be complete opposites. Triad bonds are more common with magically identical twins, who share a magical core (albeit enlarged) as their magic is most complimentary to a sing other.

Fred skipped a few chapters, skimming them slightly as he tries to find a less dry section. They'd read the whole thing, of course, but that would take time, so he'd try to find the most important bits now.

Cor Carecerem

The Cor Carecerem potion enables the drinker to find his or her soulmate in a twenty-four hour period. The drinker's sight becomes black and white for this timeframe, and their bonded will appear golden. For full effect the potion must be brewed starting at the summer solstice to be finished by its equinox. Each ingredient must be added under the light of a new moon, and placed under stasis until the next ingredient is ready. Failure in any of these steps will result in a potion that will turn the drinker golden for twenty-four hours, or, if irreparably ill followed, death. It is optimal that the intended drinkers brew the potion themselves to infuse the brew with their magic.

Ingredients:

Copper cauldron

Copper stirring rod

Jobberknoll Feather

Knotgrass

Aconite

Ginger Root

Eye of Newt

Moonstone

Essence of wormwood

Large pot of purified seawater.

Fred looked at his brother intently, before letting out a large huff. 'Jobberknoll Feather? Essence of wormwood? They're not exactly giving those out for free, how are we supposed to find these?'

'Well I'm sure Snape has most of these, if we distract him we could get a few supplies and start it when we get back to the burrow.' George looked pensive as he thought about their options. There was no proof that they had a soulmate, and if they mess up the potion it's likely the results would be disastrous. But... they were left this book for a reason, and they weren't that bad at potions. Maybe they could even give Snape a copy of the recipe if it worked, Jobberknoll parts weren't cheap. Besides, Valbatsky had said that magically identical twins were likely to have one, and the weasley twins, much like generations of prewett twins before them, had been just that.

'I guess that's our summer plans then, Freddie.'