By the time she was dressed with her hair done for the day, Eva had fallen silent and retreated into the shadows of the girl's bedroom, knowing her sister was soon to visit.

Unlike Stella, Mabel would not tolerate talking from the servants. She thought they should be seen and not heard. In an ideal world, she'd prefer for them not to be seen either. As Eva had expected, the door opened, revealing the older Mendacium daughter. She dropped herself onto Stella's bed, glancing around the bedroom with disdain.

"So you listened to me yesterday and came home?"

It was far too early in the morning for Stella to be dealing with her sister. She made her contempt for the situation clear, not that Mabel cared to notice.

"Well, I'm here now, aren't I?"

"The Governor's still alive, so yes." Mabel gave her little sister a steady look, attempting to see into her soul. "I'm proud of you Stella. You're on your way to becoming a respectable young woman."

And Stella's mood soured. She didn't want to be a respectable young woman. Respectable young women have to run the house and be a painting of perfection. Stella wanted to run through the fields and get her hands dirty. She wanted to sleep in and go to bed late. She didn't want to do anything respectable or lady-like.

Schooling her expression, Stella directed the conversation to more important matters. "Do you know where I can find some basil?"

Suspicion flashed across Mabel's features. "Why do you need basil?"

"It's for a herbal remedy I'm practicing to reduce the effects of fever."

"Who do you know that's got the fever?"

Naturally, she couldn't tell the truth. That would reveal what she'd done. Mabel didn't need to know that. Mabel didn't need to know she'd been sneaking around the Governor's house and performing magic. She didn't need to know she'd been talking to the Governor's slaves. Most of all, she didn't need to know that Stella planned to do it all again. "No one," She lied. "I just want to have the remedy in case it comes in handy in the future."

Mabel wished her sister could have a lying tell. Unfortunately, she didn't. The only evidence of Stella's lies was her heart beat and it was quite impossible for Mabel to monitor that.

"There's probably some in the kitchens. Have your Handmaid get it for you. We don't need a repeat of yesterday."

Stella going down to the kitchens would only end in disaster. She'd want to talk to everyone, befriending them despite her high status.

"Of course. You wouldn't mind, would you Eva?"

Mabel's jaw clenched. Stella simply never learned.

"Of course not, Miss."

With that, Eva exited the shadows and closed the door to Stella's room behind herself softly. She was relieved to be pardoned, if anything. Being in Mabel Mendacium's presence was really quite terrifying.

When Mabel was sure Eva was gone, she gave her sister a sigh. "Mr Gerard won't be impressed if he hears you addressing her by name."

"Mr Gerard can go stick his-"

"Stella!" The younger girl fell silent, her cheeks flushing with her annoyance. "For heaven's sake, it's already bad enough that this family's hiding one secret. We don't need to add more to that."