"So that they can enjoy nature. There are things in this world that are pleasant other than just the beach, you know."

"Not really, but I guess I'll trust you."

After scouring a map for the best options and reading trail reviews in the brochures she'd grabbed from the tourist's office, Sally had decided on Wadsworth Falls State Park. It was nearly three hours away, which Poseidon wasn't thrilled about. "I could just snap us there," he said. But Sally wouldn't hear of it. The drive was just as much a part of the journey as the actual hike.

They clambered into her shabby Chevy Malibu just before dawn, which she'd bought for a few hundred dollars before coming out to Montauk at the start of the summer. It had a few rust marks and the seats had their fair share of stains, but she loved it anyway. Poseidon was less impressed.

"You're sure this contraption actually works?"

"Yes!" Sally exclaimed with mock exasperation. "Now stop complaining about every single little thing. Are all gods so whiny?"

"How about you ride passenger in a chariot that's following apart and we see who's whiny then?"

She turned the keys in the ignition. The third time, it started. "Off we go!"

They'd been driving for over an hour when Sally slammed on the brakes. Poseidon, who'd been leaning back with his seat reclined and eyes closed, jerked forward before the seatbelt grew taught and caught at his throat. He tugged at it with frustration several times, then clicked the release button to the side.

"What is it? What happened? Did this metal death machine break down after all? Are you hurt?"

"No, no. I'm fine," Sally said, shaking her head. "I'm sorry for frightening you. It's just-- there was a dog!"

"...a dog?"

"Yes, in the middle of the road! I nearly hit it. Could you imagine? I know you're not supposed to stop short in the middle of the road like that for an animal, but I never would have been able to live with myself. It looked pretty well taken care of, it must be someone's pet. It just stood there in the middle of the road until I stopped, and then it took off." She pulled off to the side of the road, which was fortunately deserted. Trees and forestry surrounded the road on either side. She shut the engine off and opened her door. "Come on, we have to find it!"

"What about the hike?" Poseidon called as he climbed out on his side. Sally was already headed into the trees.

"Hiking can wait. We have to save the dog!"

After ten minutes of searching and hollering, Poseidon was clearly growing bored. "I'm sorry, but I don't understand. It's just an animal."

She rounded on him. "Dogs are not just animals. They are man's best friends. And that dog, in particular, is someone else in particular's best friend. What if it belongs to a little kid who's freaking out? And the dog was clearly scared. It's our obligation to help it. That's just how it works. Now are you going to help me, or-- there it is!" A flash of black and white fur darted past them. "Here, boy! Or, girl! Whatever! Here, doggy!"

The next hour was spent chasing, calling to, threatening, reasoning with, and coaxing the dog. It was definitely frightened, and wouldn't let either of them get near it. Poseidon made more then one comment about how this would be much easier if they were trying to catch a horse. Finally, Sally resorted to bribery, "Come on, dog, please just let us help you. I promise that if you come with us I'll not only help you find your family, but also shower you in treats. That's right; milk bones, beggin' strips, you name it. All yours. Just please come with us. Pleaseeeee," she broke down in mock sobs. "Wait! That's it! Treats!"

Sally ran back to the car, leaving Poseidon and the dog to warily keep an eye on each other. When she returned, she held a bag of jerky that she'd packed for the hike. "I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner!" She tore open the bag at the corner and shook a few pieces into her hand. The dog's ears perked up. She had its attention.

"That's right," she said in a soothing tone. "Jerky. We like jerky. Jerky is good. Friends give jerky." She tossed a piece a few feet ahead of her. The dog cautiously approached, sniffed the meat, ate it, and looked at her expectantly. She placed a strip a few inches in front of her. The dog was slower to come this time, but eventually made its way toward her. The next strip it ate straight from her hand, and she cautiously reached to scratch its ear.

That was all it took. The dog was still unsure about Poseidon -- which, to be fair, the god was likewise unsure about this furry creature -- but it had clearly made up its mind that Sally was a friend. After spending some time getting familiar and comforting it, Sally managed to coax the dog into the car. She pulled back onto the road, heading back in the direction they'd come from toward the nearest town.

They'd just reached the town's outskirts when she made a quick stop at a gas station to ask for directions to the nearest animal shelter, and then they were on their way again. It took some convincing to get the dog to leave the car and enter the shelter, and even more to get it to leave Sally's side as they handed it over to the staff. Sally's eyebrows drew together in concern. Was she doing the right thing?

As if she could read her mind, the nearest staff member said, "That was a good thing you did. Most people probably would have just kept on driving, and there are a lot of things in those woods that a dog wouldn't do very well against. She probably just got lost and wandered a little too far from home. We'll post her picture around town so that her owners can find her, don't you worry."

Sally nodded, but she couldn't help the apprehension she felt as she watched the dog being led away from her. "Give her lots of treats, okay? I promised her treats." The woman nodded. "And, actually, could you give me a call if her owners do come for her? I just really need to know that she'll be okay."

"Oh, absolutely! Let me just jot down your phone number." The woman grabbed a clipboard off the counter.

Sally turned to look at Poseidon, her expression hopeful. She didn't have her own phone, but Poseidon had told her about the landline that Hephaestus had installed a few years back when he'd been really into prank calling. No one had called it in years, but it still worked. Poseidon gave her the number.

As they walked through the shelter's parking lot back to the car, Sally said, "So I guess hiking's off."

"I am truly heartbroken." Poseidon deadpanned.

"But this does not mean that you are off the hook!" She waved her finger in the air. "Next time I have the day off, we are hitting the mountains!"

"Unless we nearly hit a stray cat first," he laughed.

"I'm not even going to argue with that. But anyway, I am sorry that our plans for today got kind of derailed." They'd reached the car. Sally unlocked it, and they both climbed inside.

"Don't be. I enjoyed learning about the importance of dogs. And besides, this means we can go home and spend the rest of the day at the beach!"

"Not so fast. You can spend the day at the beach. I, in the meantime, will be within three feet of that phone at all times. I'll be too anxious to do anything else."

"Alright, if you insist. I will join you waiting by the phone."

Sally covered her mouth in false surprise. "You would skip out on the beach for me?"

"Of course."