Scene 21-30

SCENE 21

He explored many towns and wide roads, and he finally arrives at Yeonsan Town. He assigned his descendants to different towns.

Mongyong: We'll meet at Kwanghanru on the 15th of next month.

Descendant: Yes, sir.

SCENE 22

Farmer 1: Come, eat with us.

Mongyong: No, thank you. I'd just like to ask a favor to a friend in Namwon. So how is this town, now?

Farmer 2: The governor's a devil, and the chiefs are gambling trolls and we're all displeased. This town seems to be cursed. He's robbing all the people.

Farmer 3: I've heard the governor is lustful. He adores a courtesan named Chunyang and enjoys her every night. Is that true?

SCENE 23

How long has it been since heartbreak? When the sun is about to set, he arrives in front of Ch'unyang's home. He sees Ch'unyang's mother.

Mongyong: Anyone home?

Hyangdan: May I help you?

Mongyong: Tell your madam to come out.

Hyangdan: Someone is looking for you, Madam. He lookes like a beggar asking for food.

Wolmae: We have nothing here!

Mongyong: I've arrived. Its Lee Mongyong from Samcheong, Seoul.

Wolmae: This can't be. Look at the son of the ex-governor, in a beggar's clothes!

Mongyong: Take me to Ch'unyang. She's dying because of me. How can I leave without seeing her?

Mongyong: Lets go.

Hyangdan: You can't go now. The new governor is strict. When the last bell strikes you'll see her again.

SCENE 24

Wolmae: Prison keeper. Let us in, please.

Keeper: Oh, it's you again. We can't let anyone in until the governor's birthday tomorrow. The command is very strict, so please leave.

Wolmae: Don't be stubborn. Take this, okay?

SCENE 25

Wolmae: Wake up, my dear daughter. He's here.

Chunyang: What are you talking about, Mother?

Mongyong: Ch'unyang's, it's me. What happened to you?

Chunyang: Oh my dear husband, what took you so long Tommorow at the new governor birthday feast, I'll be executed. Don't let anyone touch me besides you. Please, do this for me so I can rest in peace.

SCENE 26

On the next day, the day is bright. The birthday feast takes place at the Kwanghanru Pavilion. It's a spectacular sight. Crowded with courtesans, musicians, performers, and passerby.

Hakdo: Thank you for sparing your busy time to come today.

Magistrate 1: Why do you think there's so many people outside?

Magistrate 2: Looks like all beggars around the provinces have come.

SCENE 27

Guard 1: Watch where you're going to! You can't go in.

Mongyong: Step aside, I'm a nobleman too.

Guard 2: Stop! You can't enter unless you have an invitation.

Mongyong: Let go of me!

Hakdo: What's that noise all about?

Guard 2: A nobleman who looks like a beggar insists we let him in.

Unbong magistrate: Your Majesty. Although they're outworn, he wears the clothes of a noble. Just sit him in the corner and send him away after a drink.

Mongyong: I am obliged to you for giving me good food,  and I wish to repay you with a little poem.

Mongyong: Apologies for my disturbance. I have to go.

This beautiful wine in golden goblets,

is the blood of a thousand people.

The magnificent meat on these jade tables,

is the flesh and marrow of a thousand lives.

Burning in this banquet hall,

the tears of the hungry people.

Pour from their sunken eyes,

Even louder than the noisy song of these courtesans.

Resound the complaints of the oppressed peasants.

Magistrate 3: This poem is laced with poison!

SCENE 28

Look at the emissary, Lee Mongyong. He runs out the terrace and flicks open his fan. Hidden in the crowd, the envoy sees the signal and storms out of the crowd.

Mongyong: In the King's name, you're all under arrest!

SCENE 29

Mongyong: Namwon has the richest rice supply in South and is the basis of the country, but you stole from the people and made them impoverished.

Mongyong: Divide what they stole from the poor and give it back to them. Release all the innocent people in jail. I heard a courtesan's daughter disobeyed the governor. Bring that Chunyang to me!

Servant 1: Sure, Your Highness.

Mongyong: How dare you to disobey the governor! How do you expect that you'll live? I heard you refused him, but will you refuse me also?

Chunyang: I thought the king sent the Royal Emissary to take care of people's pain, but you're just like the governor and other officials! Stop this nonsense and just kill me!

Mongyong: Give this to Ch'unyang and tell her to look up to me.

Courtesan: He wants you to see this.

SCENE 30

The new magistrate was then banished to a far away island without meat, without wine, and without company. When all this was done, Lee Mongyong took his bride back to Seoul and wrote out the story Ch'unhyang as an appendix to his official report. The King read it and was surprised to find such fidelity in a country girl of low birth. He made her a chung-yol pu-in, or Duchess, and declared that her loyalty was proof that she was just as good as anyyangban daughter, even though her mother was a lowly kisaeng, and that her conduct should be a model for all women. Ch'unhyang was then officially presented to the parents of Lee Mongyong, and they accepted her as a proper daughter-in-law. In time, Ch'unhyang bore three sons and two daughters, and they all lived happily for many years come.