The Scientist

Nobody said it was easy,
No one ever said it would be so hard.
I'm going back to the start.

I woke up to the sound of cars driving by. And when I say driving by, I mean they were about two feet away from me. I got up slowly, my back aching in pain. It looked like it was really early in the morning, so I was wondering why there were so many cars on the road. That's when I noticed the drivers all parked on the side of the road and started to walk towards me. Frightened, I quickly stood up and looked at them with confusion.
"Get off the sidewalk, ya bum!" An elderly lady yelled, pointing her cane at me.
"Go sleep somewhere else!" A middle-aged man yelled, throwing a piece of garbage at me.
As all of these people were screaming and throwing things, a little girl walked out of a coffee shop a few feet away from me. She stood in shock for a few seconds, then ran back inside.
Embarrassed and ashamed, I began to walk down the sidewalk and hopefully find a place where there wouldn't be any people to make fun of me.
"Daddy, over there!" I turned around to see the little girl pointing at me. There was a man in about his thirties holding her hand. I wasn't sure if she had brought him to make fun of me or to help me.
"Miss, are you alright?" His voice was deep with a British accent.
"Yes, I'm fine." I faked a smile and began to walk away when he stopped me.
"Do you need a place to stay?" I hesitated before slightly nodding.
"Okay, you can come over and wash up. I'll make you some breakfast." He smiled.
I didn't know what to say. "T-Thank you."
"Here, I can tell you're cold." He handed me his jacket. I didn't even realize I was shivering until he mentioned it; I had pretty much gotten used to the cold December weather.
"You know, you really don't have to do this."
"I'll do anything if it means I'm helping someone out." He reassured me. "What's your name, by the way?"
"Rose. And you?"
"Chris. This is my daughter, Apple." She smiled widely and waved at me, and I couldn't help but smile.
"It's like the fruit. They're my favorite!" She giggled, and so did I.
"Our house is just a few blocks down the street." I nodded, and we headed to their house.
"Wow, this place is huge!" I exclaimed.
"Well, it's not just the two of us." He grinned as another man walked in with a little boy.
"Rose, this is my son Moses." Moses leaped into his dad's arms and hugged him tight.
"Thanks for watching him, Guy." He spoke to the other man in the room.
He smiled, then turned to me. "Hello there."
"Oh, I'm sorry for not introducing you! Rose, this is Guy. Guy, this is my new friend Rose." Chris gestured to each of us.
"Pleasure to meet you." I greeted him as we shook hands.
"Okay Chris, I'll see you and the other doofuses tonight!" They both laughed as Guy walked out of the house.
"What would you like to eat?" Chris asked.
"Oh my, you don't have to feed me."
"Pancakes it is." He grinned as he headed into the kitchen. "What kind would you like?"
"Anything is fine, really." I was so grateful for his kindness.
He looked me up and down. "I think you seem like a banana kind of person." He got a pan out of one of the cabinets and turned the stove on.
"Apple, can you show Rose to the guest bedroom please?" He called to his daughter, who was in the living room with Moses.
"Follow me!" She ran to me, grabbed my hand, and led me down the hall into a large bedroom. It had a queen-sized bed and a flatscreen TV.
"Wow!" I said in astonishment. "This is the guest bedroom? I can't even imagine what the master looks like!"
"Oh, Daddy's room? It's huge. But he usually doesn't let anyone except for me and Moses in there. He likes to keep his stuff private." I nodded.
"Wanna go in the game room? There's a whole bunch of stuff we can do!" Apple's face lit up with excitement.
"Sure!" I agreed. I followed her out of the room.
"Daddy, can we go into the game room upstairs?"
"Sure sweetie. I'll call you down when breakfast is ready."
"Okay!" She ran up the stairs, and I followed close behind her. We went down a long hallway before we got to the room. She opened the door to a gigantic room full of board games, game consoles, and televisions.
"This... This is amazing!" I was in shock for a while.
"Have you ever played on a Wii before?" She asked, pointing to a small white game console that sat next to a TV.
"No..." I replied, and I sighed.
"Well don't worry, I'll teach you how to play!" She handed me a white remote that matched the console. When she pressed the power button, the screen brightly turned on.
"I'll show you a racing game me and Moses always play. I usually beat him, though. We play all the time. It's super fun. I should show you the course we always play on. I forget what it's called. I think it's cloud land or something like that. I love this game." She was overfilled with excitement, and it made me happy.
We played for about fifteen minutes until Chris called up to us and said that breakfast was ready. Apple ran out of the room and down the hallway as I turned the console off and walked out of the room far behind her.
We sat down at their dining room table, which Chris had already set. He put the plate of pancakes out in front of us, and we all took our servings and began to eat.
"Thank you so much, really." I couldn't even begin to say how grateful I was.
"No problem. You know, there's an apartment not far from here that I think is for rent. You'd probably really like it." I stared down at my pancake and sighed.
"Do you not have any... Oh my goodness, I am so sorry." He could see the tear roll down my cheek.
"It's fine." I wiped it with my sleeve and continued to eat.
"Do you have family? Friends?" He questioned.
"My parents were in a car accident, and my brother had cancer." I hesitated a moment. "My husband threw me out of the house and onto the street, literally. I haven't seen him in two years..." I put my fork down.
"Apple, Moses, how about you two go play a few games on Wii while Rose and I talk for a bit." They both nodded and ran upstairs.
"Don't worry, you can stay here as long as you need to. I don't mind, and I don't think they do either." He let out a little laugh.
"I understand what you're going through. When my wife and I decided to divorce, it was really hard on the two of them. But I think they've gotten closer as a result of it. Sometimes, you just need a friend who's there to help you."
"Yeah." I nodded.
"Hey, I'm meeting up with Guy and our other friends tonight at his house. Would you like to come?" He asked.
"Of course!" I smiled.
"Sounds good." He was about to walk out of the room when I went up to him and hugged him.
"Thank you." I couldn't say it enough.
"No problem. Now if I were you I'd go upstairs and play with them before they get too crazy." I grinned and went upstairs to play with Apple and Moses.