Chapter 1

"Good morning class!" called Miss Anika Fiss.

The class responded with a chorus of 'good morning'. Her class was small, like every year, with a total of ten students. She looked at all of them, mentally classifying them as everyone knew each other in the small town of Long Broach. She knew each ones name and family buissness or trade. She had no family origin there was what the people there called 'fresh blood' for new beginings.

Five, six.... nine-

"Sorry I'm late!" an exhausted little girl bursted through the door. She's the baker's daughter; Carla Tosho, age seven, perfect for starting school. She had her powers show up a bit early for a baker's daughter. Poor girl.

She was babling to her about some lame-ass excuse from her father as she was walking toward the front of the class room. The poor thing tripped on her own feet landing on her face. She was about three feet tall with red hair and silver highlights. Her red eyes were shimmering with tears and her face was turning a bright red under her pale complication. The kids had started laughing at her.

Ms. Fiss knelt down by Carla, putting her back on feet. "Are you okay?"

She nodded with a soft sniffle.

"Why don't you take your seat?"

Nodding again she walked away with her chin tucked in.

Time to get class started.

"Okay class, my name is Ms. Fiss. I shall be teaching you the basics of inner magic. We will be learning how to release this magic and a few handy tricks. Can anyone tell me where this magic comes from?"

A boy in the front row raised his hand. He had blond hair and baby-blue eyes. Shawn Piny, son and youngest of three boys to the local inn keeper. "The magic in us deciphers the jobs most perfect for us and the future classes we take."

And that genius little boy is what set things in motion later on that day to have those once in a lifetime true love. For if Carla didn't have her first crush on the good looking and smart Shawn she would forever be alone.

**********

Carla ran straight to the library after school for a love charm. She wanted Shawn to be hers forever after seeing his intiligence and cute looks. She was memorized. She approached the librarian putting books away. "Excuse me sir. Can you help me find a book?"

The tall, lanky man looked around then looked down at her. He smiled down at her, "What kind of book are you looking for dear?"

She tucked her chin in, becoming shy. "Love spell."

His eyes went wide. "I...I don't know any love spells. But we can look and see if we find some." They walked down the 'L' isle until they came across books with 'love' "Oh, here is a book on love spells."

She brightened and hugged the book close. "Thank you sir." She looked at it. It was red and thick with gold lettering on the front written 'Love Me'. As soon as she checked out she ran home.

*********

Her home was behind the baker's shop her father owned. She came in through the back door, not wanting to run into her father. The shop was tiny with kitchen being the main work space, all of it being a one story building. The place has a two bedroom  and two bath arrangement with the living between the areas. Her room was near the back door on the other side of the bathroom.

Clara ran straight to her room, closing her door and locking it. She dropped her pack beside the door and sat at her desk to read the book. She didn't know much about magic since her father was a baker. She looked to the back of the book for the the index finding 'single happy marriage'. She turned to the page to find three different spells: broken marriage, short marriage, and forever marriage.

The forever explained 'that once the spell is cast the victim has no other chioce but you as their true love'. It was a simple chant and you had to throw it at the person and be the first creature they saw, only the caster could see the ball. She decided to use it on Shawn after school.

That night at diner, Clara was sitting with her father at the diner table. "So Clara, how was your first day?"

The baker is a round man with well muscled arms. He is bald with a short red beard. "Fine, papa," she said picking at her food.

"Did I tell you who is coming tomorrow?" She shook her head. "An anameagas from court is coming to town."

"Really?" Carla immediatly brightened.

He nodded. "He should be here tomorrow after your schooling."

"Who is he?"

"Jacob Worreck, a shifter. He is coming to check our lands and official reports."

"Papa, how do you know that?"

"I have been hired to make him fresh bread when asked for."

"How long will he be staying?"

"Week or two tops."