Chapter 21: The Beginning of the Fall.

Start from the beginning

Drake: Actually, you're on time Metaldick.

Ironwood: Why do you people keep calling me that?

Drake: Because we know it pisses you off.

Pyrrha: Wait, what is this? Who are you?

Goodwitch: You know who we are. We're still the same teachers and Headmasters you met when you arrived at Beacon.

Drake: And the friendly dragon you've seen around.

Qrow: 'Cept we've got a little part-time job.

Drake: *sarcastically* Don't we all.

Ironwood: We are the protectors of this world.

Ozpin: And we need your help.

Pyrrha is shocked into silence as everyone in the room looks to her.

A few minutes later

Pyrrha is looking nervous, in the elevator with the group of "protectors". She looks at Ozpin and Glynda as if seeing them for the first time while a steady beeping signals each floor passed.

Pyrrha: Where are we going?

Drake: The vault. Under the school.

Ironwood: I still find it suspicious that you know all these things.

Ozpin: I am the one who told him.

The elevator continues downward through the vertical tunnel of dark green lights until it opens its doors and their passengers step out, with Pyrrha being the last to leave as she absorbs the sight of the large, sparsely-lit hallway she is now being lead through. Glynda waits up for her behind the others.

Goodwitch: I'm sure you must have questions.

Pyrrha: Maybe one, or two... I still don't understand. You said I was next in line to receive the Maiden's power. What do you mean by that?

Goodwitch: The Maidens have existed for thousands of years. But much like in nature, the seasons change. No two summers are alike. When a Maiden dies, her power leaves her body and seeks out a new host, ensuring that the seasons are never lost, and that no individual can hold on to that power forever.

Pyrrha: So, how does the power choose?

Qrow: Through a series of stupid and convoluted rules.

Goodwitch: Qrow.

Drake: Hey, he's not wrong.

Qrow: Exactly.

Goodwitch: At first, the only thing that was certain was that the powers were specifically passed on to young women. But as time went on, it was discovered that the selection process was much more... intimate.

Pyrrha: ... Intimate?

Goodwitch: As we understand it now, when a Maiden dies, the one who is in her final thoughts is the first candidate to inherit her power.

Qrow: Unless it's a dude or some old hag. Then the power goes to someone random, and our job gets a lot harder.

Pyrrha: Why tell me all of this now? Why not wait until I've graduated?

Qrow: Honestly, we've run out of time. I don't know if you've noticed, but things are getting a lot scarier out in the world. Tensions are high. Grimm are growing stronger, more prevalent. And it's not going to be much longer before the peace we've been enjoying so much goes out the window.

Pyrrha: You're not... talking about a war?

Ironwood: Not a war between nations.

Qrow: We can fill you in on the details once we know that you're with us. For now, all you need to know is that one of the Maidens has been attacked. And for the first time in history, part of her power was stolen.