Chapter 10

"Whaaaat?" I say, trying to act cool. "Nothing. I knew you were in here. Emma and I were just... um... pulling a prank on you. It wasn't... We weren't serious."

  "I see." Madison smirks. "Now really, tell me."

  Why does she know me so well? I'm not the best liar ever, but she always  knows when I'm lying. I hate her for that.

  "I already told you!" I say, my voice high-pitchy.

  "You're a terrible liar, Christine." she says. She never calls me Chrix, ever. I don't know why. "But fine. Have it your way. Don't tell me. Whatever it is, I don't need to know. I can keep my secrets in perfectly."

  I smirk. "So you have secrets." 

  She blushes a little. "I didn't say that."

  "You are blushing."

  "Shut up."

  "You are blushing even more!"

  "Ugh!" she says, and exits the room.

  Finally. I have my room to myself. I decide to take a shower, so I can think about what happened today and just relax.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  I walk into the Lunch Room. Since it's dinner time for the second group (the group for people 16 or older), everyone has already chosen their seats. The place is almost full.

  Every time I enter the room, I can't help but realize how the room is organized by the different jobs. The Scientists sit near to a corner, and they're quiet, each of them focusing on their computers. They're probably working on the same thing, but if they're talking, they're talking through the computers, because we don't hear anything.

  The Cooks are, well, in the kitchen. They have a different eating schedule than the rest of us.

  The Food Providers (they have different categories inside their job, like the Butchers and the Farmers and other kind of stuff, but when I talk about them, I just call them Food Providers) sit next to the buffet. They don't talk much. All they do is get up every five minutes to get food, food and more food. More than providing us food, they take it away from us. I think they eat more food than they produce.

  You're probably wondering about the Army. Well, we all sit together, near the door, and we make a lot of noise. Well, not me, but the rest of the people in the Army are noisy, very noisy. It's like they're screaming: 'Hey, we're here! We're loud! And there's nothing you can do about it because we are in the Army!'. It's weird how the Army rules the ship.

  Well, not that weird. I never made it to high school, not even to middle school. But one thing I do remember from my blurry past, it's how the popular people always seemed frightening to the others. I guess school and society are practically the same, on Earth or in a ship.

  Of course, I can't forget the Opportunity clique. They have a separate table just for them, right in the middle of the Lunch Room. Madison (yes, the Madison), Victory, Crystal and Brooke, the popular girls. But don't be fooled, I'll explain how exactly they got to be the popular girls: Madison, we already know that she's Lucy's niece. Victory, well, she's probably the prettiest girl on the ship, with her blonde curls and her bright green eyes. Crystal is Daniel's sister, though she's nothing like him, she's the meanest girl in the clique. And Brooke. Who could not like Brooke. Her father and mother are the Golden Leaders. 

  Let me explain, the Golden Leaders are the oldest Leaders on the ship (they're not that old, they're like 54), and they live in the biggest compartment: 001. Everything that happens in the ship has to be approved by them. So Brooke, their only daughter, is quite popular...

  Not because of her personality, that's for sure.

  Having such an influential friend is good. But she is not the best friend ever. She has to get everything she wants, otherwise she threatens to tell her parents. It's really annoying to be around her.

  So with everyone on their seats already, there isn't any seats left for me to join the Army. Wait, a seat next to the Gun Shooters! Yeah, I'm going to sit alone.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

  "Hey, stranger." Emma whispers in my ear.

  "Hey!" I say, surprised. "Why did you say stranger?"

  "I don't know, you're sitting here, so lonely..." she says. "It's like you don't know me or anyone here."

  That's because I don't really know anyone here, I want to say to her. I am kind of a loner. I used to sit with Jade, or with other Knife Throwers (whose names I didn't know), but now I just sit alone, because no one is willing to come sit with me. 

  I used to say talking to Jade was boring, but now I'm starting to realize how boring it must have been to talk to me. I've become a pretty boring person.

  "Oh." I finally say.

  "By the way, I did some research on you know what." She says.

  Finally something interesting. "Really? What did you find?"

  "Nothing, actually." She says. "Just that Brooke, you know, the daughter of the Golden Leaders, is in it."

  "Maybe she was that high-pitched voice we heard!" I say.

  "Yeah, you're right!" Emma says. "And maybe that's why everyone listened to her."

  "I don't know." I say. "I think Jessica and Mike wouldn't have a secret plan against most of the people on board of Opportunity."

  "Looks like Brooke is on her own." Emma smirks.

  "Yep." I say.

  Emma pretends to think, a wide grin on her face. "Wouldn't it be terrible if her dear, dear parents found out?"

  A/N: So a little note. I don't know if it was clear enough, but Jessica and Mike are the Golden Leaders, okay? Okay.

  I hope you liked the chapter, if you did, vote and comment! And well, if you want to, follow me. If you like this story, maybe you want to know when I create a new one!

  Also, shoutout to @bemmierose because she is new and well, she doesn't know many people, but she's nice so you should check out her profile.

  Serenity.