She hadn't written much about the hospital which she was at though. In fact, he barely knew where it was from the little she had told him. As he understood it; many hospitals had run out of staff while the city was in nearly complete lockdown. Yet it was every day filled with more and more refugees and wounded soldiers.

German weapons, in this case, long-range cannons, were still close enough for the Parisians to live in fear of possible incoming attacks. Seemed like the charm which everyone would talk about regarding the city had faded over the years.

-

Jo's hand was placed on Julian's forehead. She felt the burning sensation against her fingers.

For a second, her eyes flickered towards the look on his relaxed face. For all she knew, he was asleep.
If only he knew how bad it was.

She had, with a sense of unease, kept an extra eye on the man this week. His fever was getting worse by the day and his head injuries seemed to get severely infected.

Jo felt so helpless.

Being a nurse was her job. Her one thing that kept her self-importance high enough to be valued. And not even that could save Julian's health.

Of course; other nurses were there as well. Yet she somehow felt responsible at this one moment.

She pursed her lips and turned to grab a wet piece of cloth. When she looked back at him his eyes were opened, but just barely.

"L'enfer sanglant," he murmured in a low, raspy tone. Bloody hell.

She walked forward and placed the damped cloth upon his skin, attempting to be as gentle as possible.

"Essayez de vous reposer," she spoke quietly, not meeting his eyes. Try to rest.

Julian seemingly ignored her and continued talking. Just like he always would.

"Comment est le temps?" he asked, closing his eyes once again and letting out a sigh. How is the weather?

Jo stopped for a moment.
"Il est nuageux." It's cloudy.

"Fait-il froid?" Is it cold?

She glanced back at him, furrowing her eyebrows. "Je ne sais pas. Je n'ai pas été dehors." I don't know. I haven't been outside.

Silence.

Jo decided that it was best to not encourage him to speak anymore. It was draining his energy. Yet her curiosity failed her once again.

"Pourquoi vous demandez-vous?"
Why do you wonder?

Julian once again opened his eyes slightly. Yet his eyes were directed away from her.
"Je n'aimerais pas mourir avant l'été." His face remained still as he spoke in a monotone voice.

I wouldn't like to die before summer.

She froze.

"Quoi?" was all she could get out as her lungs were emptied with all air as if she had received a punch to the stomach. What?

"Je n'aime pas le froid," he said. A faint attempt of a smile could be visible on his lips. I don't like the cold

Jo was staring at him with a shocked expression. She couldn't believe it.
Or maybe she could.

"Tu ne vas pas mourir," she breathed out. You're not gonna die.

Was she telling him, or was she telling herself that?

"Bien sur que je le suis." He looked over at her. Compared to her, no sign of sadness was kept in those dark eyes of his. Of course, I am.

"Je ne vois peut-être pas bien, mais j'entends toujours des choses." His voice remained hushed and quiet. I may not see well, but I still hear things.

He was talking about the nurses.
They and their big mouths.

She could only gaze back at him. She fromaged his earlier words in her head.
Of course, he was, she thought. Of course Julian was dying. Only an idiot would deny that.

Well, perhaps Jo was an idiot. An idiot who had lost too many people in her life to continue living normally. And now she was obsessed with the idea of stopping people from dying. But Jo couldn't. No one could. It was only a matter of luck that Death hadn't been knocking on her door as well.

That's why it hurt. That's why it was as cruel as it was coming from Julian's mouth.

There was nothing she could do.

-

Hello everyone!
I'm gonna try to keep posting regularly, but i'm sadly gonna have to say that i can't promise anything (YET!). Anyways, please comment and give suggestions of what you want to see :)

Take care,
/connie