Chapter One

15 May, 1995

12 Grimauld Place , London , England    

Two weeks after school let out for the year, found Hermione Jean Granger in the basement of Number 12 Grimauld place, cleaning with the help of Ginevra Molly Weasley and her twin brothers, Fredrick Gideon and George Fabian.

While in there, Hermione started hearing two vaguely familiar voices talking.

"How do we attract their attention?" asked the first voice.

"I don't exactly know." Said the second voice.

"Do we just talk?"

"They can't hear us, Alex."

Turning around, she saw two women. One had chocolate brown hair, amber eyes and high cheekbones, the other had raven black hair, grey eyes that resembled storm clouds and aristocratic features, the female version of one Sirius Orion Black.

"I thought Blacks were necromancers or something of the sort." The brunette told the Sirius Black look-a-like.

"First off, necromancy is for the dead not the living and we are alive, Alexandra. Second of all, Blacks are dark artists and healers not necromancers, that's the Bones family, if you must know." The ravenette said, rolling her eyes.

"So what do we - oh look Hermione is looking at us."

That got Hermione out of her stupor. "How do you know my name, and who are you two and why does one of you look like me and the other look like a female Sirius Black?"

"Whoa there, calm down dear, one question at a time. First, I know your name because my husband named you. Second, I am Alexandra McKinnon and she is Lyra Black. Third of all, I look like you because I am your mother and she looks like Sirius Black because she's his twin sister."

"WHAT!! I don't – you are – what??" Hermione now was very confused. There were two- spirits?- in front of her saying that one was her mother, and the other was saying she was Sirius' sister. What was going on here?

"Yes Alexandra, let's unload everything on the girl." said the one named Lyra Black sarcastically, rolling her eyes at Alexandra McKinnon. "Why don't we explain a bit, alright? But first, did you know that you could see living spirits or that you are a natural legilimens? Or what that means at least?"

"I know what legilimens means but other than that no, I don't know what you're talking about. Sorry?" Hermione said, getting more and more confused by the minute.

"Um Hermione, who are you talking to?" Ginny asked, voicing what she and the twins were thinking in that moment.

Hermione had forgotten they were there while she was talking to the weird spirits. Before this, they had been silently looking at their friend like she had grown a second head. "You can't see them?" she asked, confused.

"They can't see us dear, we're spirits. Only you can."

"See what, Hermione? There's nothing there." Lyra and Ginny said at the same time.

"Why can't they see you?" Hermione asked the two spirits.

While the boys and Ginny looked at Hermione like she was crazy, Lyra answered. "Because they don't have the same abilities you do. Being a natural legilimens means being able to read minds like a trained legilimens would, but also being able to see living spirits. A living being with a magical core is divided into soul, body and spirit. The soul and body are stuck together but the spirit can roam the world freely and see what the body does not or cannot see. The magical being that has complete control of their magical core can see the memories of their spirits in emergencies, like if someone was in a coma or if something important happened while they were asleep and they needed to know exactly what happened. But it is very magically exhausting and the magical core has to have fully matured. A natural legilimens can also transfer thoughts and memories to other people by only maintaining eye contact with the other person, but that takes concentration and a lot of practice."