Ruthanne was finally at her wit's end when she responded to her mother's latest attempt to assume absolute control of her life.

After explaining the strenuous research requirements to her parents, Ruthanne pleaded with them, hoping the explanation would secure a bit more leeway. She went on to explain that since she was in her last couple of years of college, her degree plan would become unmanageable if they didn't loosen the reigns.

"I will agree to allow yah a wee bit more freedom. But the first time I hear talk of yah hang'n out all night a drinkin and a partyin, or should I hear word that yah failed a class, best believe I'll be there at that school-- sitting right beside yah no less-- holdin hands until we both walk across the graduation stage and accept our diplomas." Her father's livid-red face always gave away the sincerity with which he was speaking.

The vision of her father attending all of her classes was like a daymare... you know... a nightmare with your eyes open while you are wide awake. Ruthanne shuddered at the thought of how embarrassed she would be to have her father holding her hand as he complained about the cost of tuition and books. She turned a slight ash white when she realized he was serious about embarrassing her further by walking across the stage to receive her degree.

"Dad, it's not a diploma, it's a degree." She corrected him and immediately regretted it.

"I don't care if it's a degree, diploma, or a million-dollar bill, fail one single class and I'll become your shadow until you graduate. You can bet your bottom dollar that's what you'll get from me." Mr. Neeley insisted.

After they finally agreed to loosen the reigns on their daughter and allow her to make her own way as a young adult, Ruthanne focused nearly every waking moment on her goal of graduating with honors.

Away from the close embrace and watchful eyes of her parents, Ruthanne found herself drawn to activities of which her family would never approve. Though she had a game plan that she was executing to a T, it's amazing what a person could get into in such a short period of time once they take their mind off the prize.

Her first mistake came from following her cousin's footsteps too closely.

It wasn't that she was unaware of what her cousin was capable of; of course, she knew everything about the young woman who was adored by all.

Ruthanne was actually well ahead of herself. She had already taken the majority of her classes and the few she had left to complete were degree-specific courses. She believed she could hang out with her cousin, have some fun, and still maintain her grades.

Her parents figured their daughter would be safe from her first day in kindergarten since she had a cousin who was the same age. Ever since the only child attended Immaculate Heart Girl's Academy, her cousin Rose attended right alongside her. The only issue Ruthanne had with her cousin as they grew was the vigor with which Rose worked to outshine her.

Despite the little-known rivalry, they graduated from their all-girls school together as "friends". Because the Neeley's had no desire to send the youngsters to college alone, Rose and Ruthanne were encouraged to apply at the same school and accompany one another to Southern Arkansas University in Magnolia.

The two young ladies shared an apartment and their families shared the expenses. Even though each of them was quite enchanting, Rose wielded the luck of the Neeley's. She was intelligent with flawless good looks to get whatever she wanted from anyone.

In truth, Rose was totally and completely smitten with herself. From the time she was very young, she understood the way her ivory skin with its faint peach blush and splattering of orange freckles--sprinkled here and there--often mesmerized the guys who pursued her. To top off her unparalleled beauty, the long deep wavy red hair with strawberry-blonde highlights flowed down to her tiny waist.

Rose behaved as if her vanity was completely justified by insisting it was the source of her hot-girl superpowers. The self-absorbed beauty was five-foot-nine inches of absolute perfection. To make matters worse, she was also blessed with the most alluring sapphire blue eyes powerful enough to mesmerize all who cast their gaze upon her.

Non-stop praise regarding her appearance made it impossible for anyone to convince the diva that she was a mere mortal and that looks weren't everything.

By comparison, Rose was the sun whereas Ruthanne was the moon.

Though Ruthanne's skin was just as fair, her porcelain complexion held none of the warmth associated with her cousin. Raven-black hair flowed down her back just below her shoulders in a thick uncontrollable lion's mane. Uncanny clear eyes possessed the power to stop men in their tracks, but Ruthanne had neither the time nor the patience to pay attention to that.

Yet to take ownership of her beauty, Ruthanne's head was lost in the pages of her textbooks. In her mind, her duty was resolute regarding the outcome of her future. Placing the pride of the Neeley clan as her only concern, she paid no attention to her cousin's outings in the beginning.

Ruthanne was a hard worker, however, she was a delicate flower in the realm of social interactions. She got caught up with partying quite a bit in her sophomore and junior years of college and was forced to study like a madperson to complete those years without rousing suspicion from her parents. Finally, she concluded that it was best to play it safe and not follow her cousin's lead, period.

Her resolve never fully accomplished the goal of stopping Rose's temptations in her tracks.

"Girl, if you don't get your head out of those books, you're gonna turn into a fossil one day and disappear." Rose laughed as she jumped on her cousin's bed.

Ruthanne often watched from the sidelines as the diva she called dated one athlete after another. Rose was one of the most popular hot girls on campus. Her opinion had nothing to do with bias or the fact that they were family. It just simply was what it was.

Though she knew better than to allow herself to become distracted, Ruthanne considered her cousin's words and weighed them one by one.

Rose could party and drink harder than any man, and still attend classes the next day as if she'd slept in like a baby. Ruthanne lacked the 'Neeley' stomach that was necessary to drink with the petite temptress. It was no secret that she was a lightweight, which was one of the main reasons she opted to stay in since she was in no mood to listen to her classmates daring her to do things she would later regret.

Ruthanne certainly had no desire to vie with her cousin for attention. Any man who dared to look in her direction while in the presence of the green-eyed monster--affectionately known as Rose--would find himself on a rollercoaster ride of mixed signals and empty promises.

Though Ruthanne exhibited angel-like qualities that always managed to grasp the hearts of others, Rose had a way of bringing out her bad side when she started competing with her cousin to make sure no guys focused on anything other than a poisonous flower named Rose.

As if her jealousy wasn't enough, Rose taunted Ruthanne to get out and have some fun. Had Rose possessed the ability to see into the future, her cousin was sure she would have left the unwilling young woman to her studies.

Since she was a mere human, after all, Rose had no idea Ruthanne's attendance at the latest party would lead Ruthanne to see her wildest dream come true.

♡♡♡

"The best way for Wattpad to know how you feel about stories like mine is when you Comment & Vote. Your interactions are totally up to you, but hearing from you really helps and encourages me to write the stories you enjoy reading.

Thanks so much for your support."

A Final Request Before Saying Goodbye | #RELIGIOUS | RomePi™जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें