49| Blurry Memory

Börja om från början

George takes his hand from my forehead and runs it through his hair stressfully. "Sorry Kiddo, but I'm just as clueless as you." Perhaps mom knows more than he does, after all she does have Laine Davis's phone number. "Your mom got a phone call at early hours of the morning about you and Flynn being in hospital. Allie hasn't spoken to Flynn's parents yet only cause she's been super upset and she didn't want to tell them that you were okay when we had to wait at least forty eight hours to know ourselves if you were going to be okay. You can be discharged once that time is up."

My breath is still shaky. I never want to endure the type of pain again. "What does forty eight hours have to do with anything?" I want to leave and see Flynn Davis now. I'm awake, and I'm fine.

George Fields falls silent once more. His head hangs low, his eyes staring at the thin white bed sheets. "The doctors had told us that you were resuscitated on site, which was great news. But apparently it's the following forty eight hours after drowning that are the most dangerous."

It makes sense now that he has said it, but it hadn't crossed my mind immediately. At such a young age in school you were taught in the mandatory first aid training that after you've performed CPR, the patient has to be sent to hospital immediately in case of secondary drowning.

I'm surprised I don't feel what I would imagine a broken rib would feel like. The chances of breaking a rib after receiving CRP is high. "So when can I leave? Is the time up?" I need to get out of here.

I can hear the ticking in my head. It's a time bomb. Anymore time spent here and I'll be forced to listen to the sounds of the gunshot on repeat. I won't be able to handle it anymore.

"Not till tomorrow, Kiddo." The rest of the sunlight has to be spent here. I don't want to do that, I can't. "Forty eight hours will be in the early hours of the morning."

My back sinks further into the terrible mattress, wanting it to swallow me whole. George isn't nearly as close with the Davis family like mom is, so hopefully when she gets back I can ask her if I can see Flynn.

Even a phone call would do. As long as I can hear his voice and know he is okay will be better. Although I won't be fully satisfied until I've seen him with my own eyes.

I know what they're doing

I know what they're doing. They're avoiding going home or letting me see my friends. It's obvious really. The morning I was released from hospital mom drove me straight to the Field's house.

There was my duffel bag stuffed with my clothes sitting on the bed in the spare bedroom. It doesn't feel permanent, but it seems like a good choice. I don't want to see my old room just yet.

"Has your mom spoken to Flynn's parents yet?" Liam asks me as he sits down on the bed I am currently lying on. I wanted to lock myself in the room to have some time alone where mom wasn't sobbing hysterically, but sadly none of the bedrooms have locks in this house.