seven | 07

it's not a chance

———

[ ethan dolan ]

grayson bumped my shoulder with his as we walked down the crowded hallways. a couple of groups shuffled out of our way while others, mostly full of girls, stared us down and giggled amongst themselves as we walked past.

i knew exactly what they were thinking: hoping with everything in them that i would make eye contact with them just so they could brag to all of their friends about how i was "totally into them" when that was not the case at all.

freshman and sophomore year i would have soaked up the attention like i had never had it in my life. not that i didn't still enjoy it, it just got annoying.

conveniently, grayson's locker was right beside mine so i didn't even have to look up when he stopped walking.

i leaned against my locker and waited for grayson while he shoved his backpack into his own and pulled out some of his textbooks.

he slammed the door shut and turned towards me, "hey, i've been meaning to ask you about it, but you kinda disappeared saturday and never told me where you went."

i shrugged my shoulders and played with the strings on my hoodie, "i was pissed and just needed to get away."

"with brielle?"

i inhaled and held my backpack straps tighter, "we talked."

grayson scoffed, "you actually talked to her? wow that's new."

he slammed his locker shut and we continued walking down the hall towards our first class. i don't know why he was following me to mine, his was back in the opposite direction. i guess he was just that curious about what happened between brielle and i.

i don't blame him for wondering, i had treated her like she was the cause of all my life's greatest problems since i met her.

"yeah, cleared some things up i guess."

i looked over to grayson when we made it to the door of my astronomy class.

he had a small grin plastered on his hopeful looking face, "i'm glad you're giving her a chance, e."

i don't know why, but his comment annoyed me. it's not that i hadn't giving her a chance, it was just i had this big misinterpretation of her and it led me to dislike her.

it's not like i had any plans of getting unnecessarily close with her. she was my step sister, that's all she needed to be.

"yeah. see you, gray."

and with that i lowered my eyes and walked into my class.

———

[ brielle hayes ]

i waved a quick goodbye to amber and rushed into my class right as the bell rang.

the way classes were run was so much different here compared to my old school. instead of having all of my classes in one day, there were two sets of classes that alternated every day.