𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑂𝑁𝐸

Start from the beginning

That's why she's been working overtime. The upcoming holidays have the food hoarders of the family and the planners come in early for the stocked canned goods from the convenience store Jess worked at.

Each turn seemed to be too hard to do for Jess. The road was so winding, it all seemed to be moving too quickly for her liking. She closed her eyes for three seconds, savoring the nice feeling she had when she did so, the she snapped them back open to the wide and open road ahead of her. The black road was illuminated by only her headlights after all there were no other cars in sight.

"And I forget, I forget the movie song," Dire Straits sang through the old radio and to Jess's tired ears. She usually would sing along, but her body was slumped over the steering wheel as she tried to make out the road ahead of her. She was too tired to see the dark fog cloud around her car. She was way too tired to be doing anything.

"When you gonna realize..." Suddenly, Jess's whole body seized. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head and her hands grabbed the steering wheel in an iron grasp. Her head lolled to the side as her whole body shook violently. Jess was unconscious for the most part but she could still hear everything and feel everything. She couldn't do anything about it.

"It was just that the time was wrong." Jess's arms yanked the wheel to the right and the car skidded to where it was directed. Jess's deadweight foot pressed on the gas further, making the car topple over dangerously.

Then, just as it seemed that it was going to come to an end very quickly, a hill was in the very near distance and a tree was right in front of the speeding car. Jess's Chevrolet smashed right into the trunk of the tree, making a dent right up the middle of the nose of the car. Jess's unconscious body was thrown around and her nose hit her steering wheel. A sickening crack could be heard if anyone was there to hear it.

Jess laid in her car, finally able to rest. Blood oozed out of her wounds on her forehead, nose and ears. Inside her mind, all Jess could feel was a ringing. She could practically taste the metallic taste of it as well. It was cold, dark, and lonely.

"Juliet..." the radio crackled and fizzled out.

-

Her left nostril was clogged

Her left nostril was clogged. Not by mucus or any sick feeling, but it was literally clogged. It felt like her nose was caving in. It was hard to breathe, but there was something else too. There were tubes shoved up her nose as well. That made it a bit better, but she still felt frightened.

Her eyes opened and she saw the pristine, white ceiling of the hospital. Her neck was trapped in a brace and her arms were kept at her sides with IVs sticking out of her, pumping in pain relievers.

And she was scared. Jess didn't know where she was. What happened? Shadows surrounded her, blocking the light from above. The silhouette of a woman came into view.