The Prodigal Son

The Prodigal Son. (A short Story)
By Valentine C. Azuka.

PROLOGUE

*****

"Yes I shall rise, and return to my father..."
"To err is human but to forgive is Divine..."
"Forgive me father, I have sinned against you and against heaven and earth..."

These are some of the qoutes on Michael's mind as he made his way to his father's house. He knew it was going to be tough but he was prepared and determined to do it. To apologise, it was the only option left.

"Shit! I can't wait to start balling again, Owerri I'm here to stay!"
With a thumping heart, he knocked on the iron gate.

***************

Owerri, Nigeria.
Chief Umeh's Residence.

*****

It was a hot Sunday afternoon, the environment was serene, thanks to PHCN for not seizing light. Most people were indoors, probably having their siesters after Sunday lunch or watching movies.

Chief Umeh was in his room reading a magazine when he heard some noises in his sitting room, it sounded like a joyful wails he ignored it and concentrated on his reading. He enjoys reading.

Chief Umeh was a well known multi millionaire, a successful bussiness man with many filling stations and estates around the State. He was a very disciplined man, married to a beautiful woman with 3 Children, 2 boys and a girl. They were devoted Catholic family.

"Daddy!...Daddy!!...Guess what?" His wife said feeling very excited as she entered their room. "What's happening dear? I heard some noies".
"I asked you to guess and you're asking me?" his wife chipped in, her face blushing.

"Honey, you know I don't like guessing. Just say whatever it is you have to say".
"Come on, let's go to the sitting room," his wife suggested, grabbing his hand.

***************

On getting to the sitting room, Chief Umeh couldn't believe his eyes.
On one of the couches sat the last person he wanted to see that afternoon, his first son Michael, who went to his knees immediately he saw his father.

He was not looking good at all, his hair and beards were overgrown and he looked thin.

"What is he doing here?" Chief asked no one in particular.
"What is this fool doing in my house?" He asked again, this time he was looking at his wife.

"Arh! Daddy, why are you sounding like that? He is your son, our son..."
"He is not my son anymore and I don't want to see him here! Wait, is this why you brought me down here?" She questioned his confused wife.

"Dad please, I know you have every right to be mad at me, I'm not worthy to be called your son...."

"Correct! You're no son of mine, now leave my house, leave this moment before I call the police," He threatened pointing to the door.

"Honey you can't do this to your son, where else do you want him to go?" His wife interjected with pleading eyes.

"He is 36, he is old enough to be a man of his own. I was 26 when I left my father's house with nothing, my father didn't give me a dime. So he can go anywhere he want but not to my house. Afterall he was the one who came to me 10 years ago, told me he was old enough to start his own life and requested to leave with his share of my property. I have settled him handsomely."

"Honey that was a mistake on his part and I'm pretty sure he'd realized his mistakes that's the reason he is here to ask for your forgiveness."

"I can't forgive him, this boy is a disgrace, here shattered the dream I had for this family. You remember the filling station at Okigwe and the estate at Amigbo?" His wife nodded and he continued, "Your son sold them without my knowledge. My biggest assets!" Chief shouted. There was pain in his voice.

"What? Mbanu!" She went pale.
"You told me you sold them honey?"
"I'm sorry I lied to you, didn't know how to tell you that your innocent son was a thief"
"Michael! Is it true? Eh?" She was facing Michael with eyes demanding for answers.
"I'm sorry mum..."

"He stole the documents from my drawer, I'm yet to recover from that loss. Edward'd over-taken me in the business and you have the audacity telling me to forgive him. Well, I have been merciful and kind enough by not handing him over to the police, but if he doesn't leave my house this minute I may change my mind."

Mrs Umeh bursted in tears. "So Michael after all the millions you collected from your dad, you went ahead and sold those properties without our consent? Yet here you are without nothing. What did you do with all those money? What have you been doing for the past ten years?"

"Women! What else?" Chief interjected.
He called the security man at the gate and Michael was thrown out irrespective of his pleas and that of her mother.

***************

The next day the Parish priest visited Chief Umeh

"...Chief also in the book of Mathew..."
"Excuse me father, I'm tired of listening to you qoute Bible verses for more than one hour now. Like I told you earlier Father, I disowned him, he is no longer my son. Read my lips, he is no longer my son!"

"Chief remember our Lord's prayer... forgive us our sins as we forgive those that sinned against us. You need to be merciful just like God is merciful,"
"And how do you expect me to do that huh? Am I God? Am I omini science? Am I the creator of heaven and earth? How do you expect me to be merciful like God? I'm not as powerful as he is, so don't compare us please...."

"Nothing is impossible for God" The priest was not going to give up.
"Then he should live by example and forgive Satan first!" With that he stood up to leave.

"What!?" The priest asked with shock doing The Sign Of The Cross.
"You heard me, I have drinks over there," he said pointing at his bar.
"Christ have mercy..." The priest was saying but Chief Umeh already had enough.

"Father, You may leave anytime you wish." and with that he left to his room.

Getting to his room in a rage, he wanted to sleep but the repeated chiming of his phone wouldn't allow him. He checked his phone and saw 10 missed calls from his elder sister.

He was about switching it off when she called again.

"Hello! Adanne..." He was really peeved but tried to sound calm.
"Hello! Ike, I have been trying to reach you, you"
"Sorry I was not close to my phone then, hope all is well?"
"Not really my dear, eerm..there's something I want us to discuss,"

"Ok I'm all ears but I hope it's not about Michael?"
"Hmmm Ike, it's about him oo, our son. What's is this I'm hearing that you..."
"I'm sorry, Adanne there is nothing to discuss. Bye." he switched off his phone.

***************
EPILOGUE

After several attempts by the Church to convince Chief to forgive his son but to no avail. The Church gave him one month to forgive his son or else he would be excommunicated. One Month passed and Chief didn't change his mind. So he was excommunicated.

Sometimes we wrong people with the hope of asking for forgiveness later.
I think the best apology is not offending at all.

But we are all humans, we are bound to make mistakes. So let's try and forgive no matter how hard.

Valentine C. Azuka.
Valcee (Honest Pen)
©2020