[ twenty-four ]

Start from the beginning

"When did he return from Karanese?"

"This morning. Neither my mom or I knew, he just came to my office so suddenly, saying he got a week off -- actually, I have something from him I think you'd want to know."

(Y/n) paused, "Hm? What about?"

"We'll talk about it over dinner."

○○|●|<>|●|<>|●|<>|●|<>|●|○○

|| 8:21 p.m. ||

"That smells good~!" Hanji was the first one to approach the dining table just after Mikasa and (Y/n) placed the plates along with their food. Eren and Armin follows after, smiling at the sight of the meal.

"Wash your hands first, Eren." Mikasa nudged the brunet's arm forward, earning a small pout from the male before he walks to the sink. "Fine, mom." Armin also goes with him while holding back a chuckle.

Hanji takes the seat to (Y/n)'s left as she grabs a bowl and a pair of chopsticks from the center of the round table. "You have fettuccine Alfredo?! (Y/n) where did you get this?!" She ogles at the tray on (Y/n)'s hands with her mouth agape. "My mom went here yesterday and got me this. She gave me a lot, so I have leftovers."

"A'ight, let's eat!" Eren runs to sit in between Mikasa and Armin after drying his hands.

"Thanks for the food!"

The group began with their evening meal, chatting while music played softly in the background. (Y/n) barely spoke though, her mind was still occupied by the day's events and now she was curious of what Mikasa wants to tell her like she said a while ago too.

"Remember when you showed me the file about Levi Ackerman's past relations?" Mikasa spoke, setting her chopsticks down. (Y/n) nods her head, "Yeah. Why?"

"My father and I talked a while ago and I asked him again about Levi... he really didn't know anything about him."

The table was silent as they listened to what Mikasa was saying. The topic was Levi Ackerman, how could they not find that intriguing?

"Then I told him about Kenny The Ripper. According to dad, him and that man are cousins."

(Y/n) pressed her lips together, her back leaning against her chair while she sets her chopsticks down too.

"Wait, so you're telling me that you're related to Kenny The Ripper?" Eren's turqoise orbs enlarged, his focus on Mikasa's figure as she remained silent.

"Apparently, their family left Paradis more than three decades ago and they never interacted with the rest of the family ever since. So no one really knew what happened to them at that time. Dad just recognized Kenny since they used to be close."

"Oh... and how," (Y/n) quickly processed the medic's words whilst tapping her fingers on the surface of the table, "how is he possibly related to Levi...?"

"He was seen with Levi once so there's a huge possibility he is part of our bloodline... I'm not sure if Kenny's his father-- oh, Kenny had a little sister too. Maybe Levi's a love child?"

"So Levi Ackerman's possibly your second cousin? Wow!" Hanji grins at Mikasa, "That's so cool!"

"We're still not very sure, but there's a big chance." Armin comments after he swallows the lump of food in his mouth. (Y/n) slightly nods her head as she says, "We'll find out about that tomorrow."

"Ah, so this was the blood test you two," Eren gestures to both Mikasa and (Y/n), "were talking about a while ago."

"Mhmm." (Y/n) responds before picking her chopsticks up and continuing her meal.

"Tomorrow is Levi's test, right? Can I go too?" With a small smirk on her lips, Hanji stares at the surface of the table. (Y/n) lightly shrugs her shoulders at the brunette's query, "I don't see why not."

As the three continued to chat amongst themselves, (Y/n) was left to listen to her own thoughts.

If Kenny the Ripper is Levi's relative, then why didn't he mention anything about him when I asked?

Either they had a bad past or he just didn't want to tell me... but why would he hide something so simple like that?

(Y/n) adjusts her position on her chair, slowly chewing on the noodles from her bowl.

I don't see any resemblance between the two though...

Levi's visage flashed in the doctor's head, along with the memories of what happened earlier this evening. A small blush decorated (Y/n)'s cheeks while she unwillingly replayed the scene in her head, not realizing that she had paused her eating as she did so.

"What's wrong, doctor? Am I..."

His tantalizing words caused the (h/c)-haired girl to tighten her grip on her chopsticks and swallow the invisible lump in her throat.

"...too close?"

(Y/n) shuts her eyes for a second to regain her composure.

Damn it! She internally cursed, before she excuses herself from the table to take her empty bowl to the kitchen. Mikasa noticed the small disturbance in her expression, but decided not to ask (Y/n) about it.

Placing her hands on both sides of the sink, (Y/n) pressed her lips into a line whilst taking a silent inhale to make herself stop thinking of the male.

"Promise me you won't pay more attention to the others than you do to me."

"What was I thinking...?" (Y/n) asks herself, remembering the promise she blindly made a while ago. For a moment, she thought of it as something not meaning too much, but now she had time to ponder about it, she learns that it could mean much more than it seemed to do.

To Levi, at least.

As much as she hated to admit it, she really is attracted to the notorious criminal and serial killer that is now in her care.

And she blamed it on her self, being touch-starved and inexperienced as she is.

Hell, she even found Levi's kiss better than Farlan's; that thought alone spoke thousands of untold words about what (Y/n) really felt.

A crazy quilt of emotions, both familiar and unfamiliar, churned in her gut. She's never had such conflicting feelings like what she was dealing with tonight; this was never in the textbooks she spent years reading so she didn't know anything about it.

Maybe dedicating her teenage years to solely studying and burying her face in thick books wasn't so good like what her parents used to tell her.

(Y/n) felt stupid.

Despite her vast amount of knowledge on the human mind and beyond, she was confused by how Levi's worked when normally she wouldn't be.

She only returned to reality when she heard Eren's voice calling her name from the dining room.

"Huh? Yeah, be right there!" She yells back, then walks to her fridge and took out a box of cake.

After her short debate with her inner self, (Y/n) could only come up with one solution to her problem.

Ignore and forget about it.