Book Reading

Shane and Ryan were quietly reading. Ryan was reading a book all about unsolved crimes. and Shane was reading a book about evolution.

They heard footsteps ascending the stairs, which they assumed was for dinner. They were correct.

The door opened, and Father Thomas entered.

"Boys, it's dinnertime. Oh, I see you two are reading! What are you reading, Ryan?"

Ryan showed him the crime book, to which Father Thomas responded: "I see! You'll be a great detective when you grow up, my boy. Now, Shane, what are you reading?"

Shane hesitantly showed him the book, as he knew Father Thomas would not approve.

He was right.

"Evolution? Do not fill your brain with such nonsense. Give me the book. That blasphemy should not be in this holy house," Father Thomas declared.

Shane handed the book over reluctantly. It was a very interesting read. Why couldn't he just read what he wanted to?

"Thank you," Father Thomas said. He checked the spine, as he knew he wouldn't have allowed Shane to buy such an unholy book. Sure enough, it was from the school library.

"I will give this to you in the morning. When you get to school, go directly to the library and return it," Father Thomas demanded.

Shane nodded dejectedly. But he had a plan. See, Father Thomas was forgetting one key thing. He rode the bus in the morning. He could easily use his phone flashlight to read more of the book in the early hours of the morning. And he didn't even have to return it! He could just stuff the book in his locker.

All through dinner and the rest of the evening, Shane could hardly wait to read his book. He even had trouble falling asleep, even though he usually fell asleep rather easily.

In the morning, the father handed the book over. "Now remember, return this directly to the library," he commanded.

"Yes, Father Thomas," Shane replied. He put the book in his backpack.

As Shane and Ryan walked to the bus stop, Ryan asked him a question.

"How are you gonna read more of your science-y stuff? Father Thomas will definitely monitor you more closely now. I mean, I know he was suspicious of you reading that kinda stuff before, but he'll be even more watchful now that you've been caught."

Shane decided to share his plan with Ryan. He trusted him. "I'm gonna read it on the bus. I'm not going to return the book either. I'm just gonna shove it in my locker before we go home."

"Smart idea, Shane," he complimented.

Shane grinned, knowing he'd outsmarted Father Thomas.