EPISODE 1: Narahari

Once upon a time, there lived a talented Goldsmith named Narahari in Pandaripur. He was a staunch devotee of Lord Siva. The villagers used to praise him for his amazing skills.

One day, the organizers of the Panduranga temple which is famous there visited him. They requested him for silver anklets for Lord Panduranga. For that, Narahari refused and said, "I will never visit Panduranga's shrine or accept him as my god".

The organizers felt very bad. His arrogance that Lord Siva is the only god irritated them. They left leaving everything under the lotus feet of Sri Krishna.

Once a man came to his house and asked, "To offer a waist chain made by you to Vittala is my wife's earnest prayer".

He replied, "I am a Saiva. I will never enter a Vishnu temple. Since it is your earnest request, I accept it. I need measurements. Please visit the temple and bring it."

The visitor brought him the measurements. The waist chain was made within a day. The next day, the man returned with disappointment. He said that the chain was slightly bigger for the lord.

He replied, "Alright, I will make it smaller". The next day, he again came back with a low face. The chain was too small this time. 

He tried once again. He failed this time again. The customer lashed at him, "I can't understand how people praise you. Can't you make a waist chain properly?"

Narahari thought, "Oh Parameshwara, Mahadeva, why are you testing me?". He made up his mind to visit the shrine. He blindfolded himself and entered the temple.

He touched the idol of Panduranga. He felt very differently.

"What is this? I feel like touching the ice linga of Amarnath. The neck seems like having Rudraksha. What? There is Damru in the hands. It must be Lord Siva".

Saying so, he uncovered his eyes. He was deceived. It was Panduranga only. He covered his eyes again and started making the measurements. He started from the head.

"What again? Ganga, the moon, and the third eye? This is not Panduranga." This happened for hours.

At last, when uncovered his eyes, Lord Siva and Lord Krishna appeared before him in Hara Hari form. Narahari fell unconscious. 

Morning, he woke up

Morning, he woke up. He understood the events. He said before the idol of Vittala, "O Narayana, Forgive me. U have taken so much trouble to make me understand that Vishnu and Siva are one and the same. I behaved like a fool. O, Vittala, you are none other than my Siva".

Narahari took up Sanyas. He followed the Varkari Vaishnava tradition which does not maintain any distinction between the various forms of God.

 He followed the Varkari Vaishnava tradition which does not maintain any distinction between the various forms of God

SHIVAYA VISHNU ROOPAYA SHIVA ROOPAAYA VISHNAVE. SHIVASYA HRUDAYAM VISHNU VISHNOSCHA HRUDAYAGUM SHIVAH. 
"Shiva is in the form of Vishnu, Vishnu is in the form of shiva. Shiva's heart is Vishnu, Vishnu's heart is shiva. 

SOURCE: PICTORIAL STORIES FOR CHILDREN. SRI RAMAKRISHNA MATH PUBLICATIONS.