A New Loyalty

Isaac took a deep breath, staring at the steel door. The person within was expecting him, probably already knew he was there, but Isaac still needed that calming breath. Resigning himself to the idea that he was as ready as he was going to get, he reached out and pulled the heavy door aside.

Derek waited for him patiently. Something that was new in Derek.

“Hey,” Isaac greeted quietly before stepping into the loft.

Derek gave a curt nod of greeting. Isaac was hit by the realization that maybe Derek wasn't quite ready to see him, either. They hadn't really had a chance to talk to each other since Derek had made Isaac leave the loft for good in a less than gracious manner.

Isaac had been hurt. That was what made this difficult. He wasn't afraid of Derek. Nor did he hate him. He understood, now, why Derek had run him off. But it still hurt.

“How've you been?” Derek asked. Isaac heard real concern in the older werewolf's voice.

“Good,” Isaac answered honestly.

Derek nodded and an awkward silence followed until Derek took a deep breath and said “So there was something you wanted to ask me?”

“Uh...yeah,” Isaac answered, shaking off his meloncholy. He stepped forward into the loft that he'd called home for almost a year and sat across from the man who had been his mentor.

Derek made a 'go ahead' gesture with his hand and Isaac wondered if Derek's newfound patience was only for Isaac. Maybe Derek felt he owed that to Isaac. Isaac would say he was right.

“There's something I'm kinda confused about”, Isaac began, deciding to set aside any differences he might have with Derek. At least for the moment.

“Okay?” Derek prompted.

Isaac wasn't sure how to begin; he didn't want to push any sensitive buttons, but he needed help in clarifying his recent thoughts. “Well, it's just....okay.” Isaac cleared his throat and began again. “You were my Alpha,” Isaac said needlessly.