"I can't have a social life?"

"Okay, yeah, you can, but we don't even call every day and we're best friends. If you were calling your mom or family, you wouldn't be hiding it from me. So who would you be talking to every day that late at night except a partner?" Sapnap paused to scroll down on the list. "Then remember when we stayed up late and I asked you if you had a partner? You said no, and that's what tipped me off to something weirder going on. Besides, you don't hide people from me."

"Or do I?" Dream said with a raised eyebrow.

"No, you don't, shut up."

"Fine, okay."

Then Sapnap listed off every single thing that tipped him off, from Dream becoming good at crane games when he had never expressed interest in a game that wasn't Minecraft to Dream's body jerking so suddenly when the apple was thrown at him as if he had been pushed. Objects dropped by either of them suddenly gained velocity or went an entirely different direction. There was no evidence of another person living at the apartment, but the way Dream acted implied there was, even after he claimed his roommate was somewhere else. And during moments of silence, there always seemed to be... something Dream looked directly at for a split second, even if there was nothing in front of them. They had to have been sitting there for another hour, just listening to Sapnap list off strange events.

"I still don't know how you got guardian angel from that," Dream said when it all finished.

"I never said I thought it was a guardian angel." Sapnap chuckled upon hearing Dream curse underneath his breath. "It's okay, I already knew. I thought it was just a ghost buddy you had with you until... you know, what happened today."

Everyone fell silent.

"I'm just—I don't know about religion, but..." He took a deep breath before laughing. "You know my family. I know I've told you the stories they told me as a kid before. Spirituality's a weird little thing. Truth is—"

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"You just revealed you had an entire guardian angel. I think I could at least give you my thoughts free of charge." Sapnap's gaze moved up to his ceiling. "Truth is, you know that feeling you get—that moment when time stops—when you just instinctively know you're about to die?"

Dream knew that all too well, even if he was protected from it now. He nodded.

"I know I was meant to die back there. Everything happened so suddenly. Even if you somehow got the reaction time to reach for me, I wasn't going to take you down with me. I don't remember what I was thinking in the moment, but I know I at least wanted that. So what else? Just a normal ghost wouldn't have the strength or reaction time to save me. But a guardian angel? That's a completely different story."

"Don't say that," Dream said, his throat running dry. "You don't know you would've died."

Sapnap shook his head. "No, I was thinking about it on the way here, and there was only one possible outcome that could've come from that situation. Don't try to deny fate. That's stupid."

"Yet you did."

"Not intentionally. Or maybe being saved by your guardian angel was fate? I don't know. I just..." He leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms. "I just owe a lot to your guardian angel. That's all I know."

"Damn right, you do," George said with a smirk tugging at his lips.

Dream laughed. "You know what my guardian angel just said?"

"No, what?" Sapnap said. He wrinkled his nose when Dream repeated what George had said. "You know what, Mister Ghost Man? I take all of that back. How dare you let me live? Now I actually have to study and do school stuff."