35. For my Sanity's Sake

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I guess divine young have always existed with the dragons," God muses. "Dragons may live for thousands of years, correct? So how have you not become overpopulated?"

"Many of the elders become tired of life," Nyx replies. "There are not many new firsts for them to experience so they make the decision to die. Sometimes it's by their own talons, but most choose to die painlessly by my magic in our annual Celebration of Life. Yes, the name is ironic, but we celebrate the lives the elders have lived. We remember them and their actions in life."

"Many members of your guard are elders, correct?"

"Yes. Jinx is the oldest. I raised him along with his siblings, the first dragons, all from dragonets. Truly, I'm surprised he hasn't chosen to die after living as long as he has."

"Maybe he doesn't want to leave you," God suggests. "Having been with you from your beginning, it's likely he doesn't want to be separated."

"Yes, that's a possibility," Nyx says. "He does, after all, know I hated the departure of his siblings."

"I'm sure our creator is taking good care of their souls."

"As am I. I believe that's all we need to go over?"

God nods, "It is. And as usual, take care of Lucifer and of yourself."

"I wi—" Nyx stops, his eyes narrowing, "Oh for my sanity's sake, what has he done now to get himself shot?"

"With Lucifer, it's hard to say," God replies, raising an eyebrow. "Until next year or the worsening of the demon attacks?"

"Until then," Nyx agrees.

Walking out of the house, the draxon's wings come out and he disappears, returning to Earth.

Nyx, Dan's voice echoes in his mind. I don't know if you can hear this, but we could use your help. Lucifer's been shot, I know, but charging in could get other people hurt.

Growling, Nyx changes course and lands at the LAPD precinct. Sweeping inside, he finds Dan and Maze in one of the glass-walled conference rooms.

"So you did hear me," Dan says, relieved.

Nyx nods, "I did. It seems my power has returned to the small degree of reading the minds I have monitors in, meaning yours, Maze's, Chloe's, Trixie's, Ella's, Linda's, Amenadiel's, Jinx's, a few more of my dragons, and yeah that's it."

"Not Lucifer's?" Dan asks.

"I have a bond to him, I can read his mind anytime he lets me and he can read mine. I won't look into your mind or the mind of anyone else without being let in though, that I promise"

"Huh. Alright," Dan says. "Anyway, Maze, you can't just go in there swinging your knives around."

"That's exactly what I can do," Maze argues.

"I agree with her," Nyx says, arms crossed. "Jinx is there too, three of us against one human, let's go."

Dan sighs, "He has the entire place wired to blow, it's too risky."

"I have magic," Nyx offers.

"And the people at Lux have eyes," Dan returns. "Can you really make sure no one sees anything?"

Nyx scowls, "Fine. So what do we do? Actually while you decide that, I'm going to check on my dear devil."

"So we've got nothing," Chloe whispers.

"No, Chloe, we've got you," Eve says. "From what Lucifer's told me, you are the smartest, most capable, most resourceful person he's ever known."

"And that I've ever known," Jinx adds, kneeling next to Chloe. "Also, you've got me."

"Jinx," Chloe says, surprised. "When did you get here?"

"I've been here the whole time. I tried to locate the bomb, but I can't find anything. What's the plan?"

"Can you get the gun away from Marco?"

"Not without risk of him triggering the bomb," Jinx replies.

Chloe takes a shuddering breath, "Alright... alright, Eve, you tend to Lucifer. Keep pressure on the wou— Lucifer, what are you doing?!"

"Lucifer is currently resting," the devil replies, his voice calm as if he wasn't poking around the bullet wound. "And I am trying to find the blasted bullet in his abdomen... Feels like it's lodged somewhere in his stomach..."

"Lucifer," Eve says worriedly.

He looks up, causing both women to tense in shock. Bright orange eyes look back at them for a second before Nyx goes back to trying to find the bullet.

"Nyx," Jinx says, "You know most people can't do this without screaming in pain or something, right?"

"I've been hurt enough times that pain doesn't exactly faze me anymore," Nyx replies through Lucifer's lips. "Yes, Luci, I do in fact know what I'm doing. Nice to know you have confidence in me."

"He can hear you?" Chloe asks curiously.

"Oh yes," Nyx says. "See, Luci is still conscious and aware, he's just not in control. He's also not feeling the pain I'm causing, so don't worry about that. Oh, I guess I should also tell you that you can contact me by thinking of sending a message to me. I have a monitor in your mind, Chloe, and my power has come back just enough to read the monitors I already had."

"Alright," she replies. "What are you doing? In your normal body, I mean."

"I'm currently at the precinct waiting for Dan and Maze to come up with a plan."

"Maze? Maze is there?"

"She is, yes. Argh, where is this little bastard."

Jinx sighs, "Nyx, if you take out the bullet and heal him, how are we going to explain it to doctors later? Everyone saw Lucifer get shot, humans don't heal in a few hours."

The draxon pauses to consider his words. "Fine. I'm at least easing the pain though." Nyx places Lucifer's hand against the wound, a soft orange glow becoming visibly between his fingers. "There we are... Took you long enough, Dan. Just give me a minute."

"They have a plan to find Leona?" Chloe asks.

"Yes. If it goes well, this will be over without Lux being destroyed."

Chloe nods, "We'll try to find and disable the bomb in the meantime."

"Got it."

With that, Lucifer's eyes return to their normal dark brown, a soft sigh passing his lips. "You know, I always forget how weirdly relaxing being a passenger in your own body can feel. When you're being controlled by someone you trust, of course."

"Nyx has taken control of you before?" Chloe asks.

Lucifer nods, "The first time was barely five minutes after we first met."

"Really?" Eve says.

"Indeed. It's quite a story."

"Well, we have time."

"I... Alright, fine. It was a few millennia or so ago..."