"It's an old Shadowhunter family." Alec replies to her, "Like the Lightwoods."

Isabelle cuts in, "But- we are the Kennedys."

"Let's focus on what matters." Jace interjected, "The Inquisitor would like us to reach out to our allies, to see what they know- at this point, she considers all Downworlders suspects."

"That's casting a pretty broad net." Alec said.

Clary followed up, "She can't possibly think any of our friends did this-"

"Yeah, well, we'll prove that to her." Jace responded, "Since Luke's DNA cleared him, we should collect samples from all of our friends to clear them as well- I'll make an Institute-wide announcement."

"I'll go talk to Simon-" I offered, looking at Clary who gave me a nod, as I walked away from them, "Haven't seen him in a while-"

-

"You know- using the whole- the entire Downworlder is after you- it's not safe to be walking home by yourself gag to try and talk to me about Jace is a low blow-" I said to Simon after answering his phone call, walking down the alley.

"Well, I mean- come on- it's an interesting topic." Simon replied, "Plus- it'll keep you on the phone so I can make sure you don't die out there-"

"You are- exceptionally wrong," I dramatically sighed in a playful tone, "Jace is the last person I want to talk about-"

"Why- 'cause you're in love with him?" Simon called me out, "But- of course- you can't be with him- how tragic-"

"I'm not- in love with him-" I stopped, "Simon, if you don't shut the hell up- I'll come back to your little closet and lay one on you-"

My words were cut off when I got hit in the back of the head, a grunt leaving my lips as I dropped my phone, collapsing onto the ground.

I groaned, gripping my head, feeling my hand wetting due to the blood, my vision blurry.

Then my head fell back into the ground, everything going black as I kept consciousness.

-

My eyes cracked open when the light hitting my eyelids became more noticeable, blinking a few times to focus my vision as I noticed I was in my room.

My body was sore, and my head was in pain, making me reach up and grab my head, groaning lightly.

"Hey-" Alec's voice filled my ears from beside my bed, making me look over at my concerned best friend, "I'm glad you're awake-"

I look at him, "What happened?-"

"You were drugged." Alec exhales slowly, "Fortunately, Simon got to you before it was too late."

"They tried to kill me?-" I slowly forced myself up to sit up, "Where's Simon? Is he still here?-"

"Hey-" Alec stopped me, "Take it easy."

"Alec." I stare, "Where is he?"

"He refused to leave the premises." Alec exhales slowly, "Inquisitor Herondale had him taken down to the detention level."

I sat up quickly despite my pain and his protests, "She locked him up?"

-

"So Imogen says to lock up Simon and you just let it happen?" I confronted Jace the moment I saw him, my arms crossed, anger clearly shown.

"Zee, I tried to help Simon-" Jace stammers, "You know I wouldn't have done any of this if he hadn't broken Clave rules."

"Oh, that's rich-" I scoff lightly, blinking a few times, "Since when are you into rules?"