Chapter 7: The Soldier

Thanks to all the people who helped me name some of these random clones!

Red Hawk wasn't like any of the other clone troopers. He was (allegedly) the commander of the 747th regiment. He thought he would be bossing people around, making rules, blasting droids. But instead he was stuck on Kamino pretending his dinner was a group of troopers. It wasn't an ideal solution, but it wasn't the worst thing that had ever happened to him. Hearing about Crusher's death had burned a hole in him that nothing could possibly heal. And not only two weeks later, Blue Jay had been taken from him to work as a captain for the 747th. He was supposed to go along with him, that had been the plan, but the monitors on Kamino thought their friendship was "threatening" or "too sexual". When Red Hawk heard the last one, he had nearly vomited. Blue Jay had always been there for him, and he loved him sure, but it was the kind of love he would feel towards an older brother who always looked out for him. This argument didn't work towards his case at all, and he was stuck on Kamino for another five months. It felt like five decades, but the tallies on his wall said otherwise. Staring at them now, five months after his live turned into living hell wasn't making him feel any better. 

"Trooper!" A sharp knock. "Trooper are you in there?"

Red Hawk didn't respond when people called him trooper. It was like calling a 20-year-old kid, it didn't make sense. He just kept staring at the wall and ignored the person.

There was another knock. "Trooper! I'm talking to you."

"I don't know any clone named Trooper," Red Hawk snapped. "But I'm in here."

A pause. "I can't come in."

"Where are my manners?" Red Hawk said casually. "The door is open."

The door slid open and a very pissed off clone walked in. "Why aren't you in the conference room?"

"I beg your pardon?" Red Hawk said, confused.

"Don't play dumb with me," the clone snapped. "The Jedi general called for a meeting with you."

"She did?" said Red Hawk. Why would the general want to talk to me? "I didn't hear anything."

"Well now you have," the clone said. "The general is getting impatient. So, hurry."

Red Hawk rolled his eyes. "Sure."

The clone left the empty room with the door open so the buzz of clones in the hallway to filter in the where Red Hawk was standing. With a sigh, he shoved his helmet over his head and walked into the brightly lit Kamino hallway. The other clones didn't pay much attention to him, they had all been told he was the "reject who didn't pass the test", when he and Blue Jay had beaten most of them. It wasn't fair honestly, but Red Hawk had learned to only listen to the whispers that counted. Axe and Brer were two clones who had always accepted Red Hawk as one of their own. Axe always caused his squad to lose things and Brer overthought almost everything, so together they were a perfect pair. They were standing outside the door to the main control room where the Jedi general Shaak Ti spent her days on Kamino when she wasn't testing clones. A squad walked out, all upset. One of the men was arguing with another.

"If you hadn't been repeating orders instead of actually working, this wouldn't have happened!"

"Drop it Fives," the one being yelled at mumbled. "We're never getting out of here."

"Not with Fives in charge, that's for sure."

"Who said Fives was in charge?" the fourth asked as their voices faded away. "Admit it Jesse, I'm much more qualified than you."

"Hey Red Hawk!" Axe said cheerfully, punching him playfully in the arm. "What are you doing up here?"

"Yeah you never come down this way," Brer added.