Chapter 9 - How many champions?

Chapter 9 – How many champions?

Cat's pov

I sat frozen in my seat.

"The Potter Twins," Dumbledore called again.

I gulped, glanced towards Gabby who gave me a reassuring nod and headed up to the staff table. Behind me I was faintly aware of the mutters coming from the other students.

"It's the French Potter." I heard one of them hiss.

When I finally reached the top table, I noticed that Harry was with me. I glared at him and then hurried off into the chamber where all the other champions had gone.

As soon as I opened the door to the chamber, it became too much for me. I burst into tears. Fleur hurried over to comfort me and just as I had calmed down, the door slammed open to reveal a furious looking Dumbledore, who was closely followed by several other teachers.

I hid my head in Fleur's top again to avoid questioning. Thankfully it worked and I was ignored as they started questioning my brother.

Suddenly I was aware of Fleur letting go of me and striding towards Madame Maxime.

"Zit is impossible, zee little boy cannot compete."

Madame Maxime had drawn herself up to her full, and considerable, height. The top of her handsome head brushed the candle-filled chandelier, and her gigantic black-satin bosom swelled.

"What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" she said imperiously.

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. He was wearing a steely smile, and his blue eyes were like chips of ice.

"C'est impossible," said Madame Maxime, whose enormous hand with its many superb opals was resting upon Fleur's shoulder. "Ogwarts cannot 'ave two champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff, his steely smile still in place, though his eyes were colder than ever. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."

"It's no one's fault but Potter's, Karkaroff," said Snape softly. His black eyes were alight with malice. "Don't go blaming Dumbledore for Potter's determination to break rules. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here –"

"Thank you, Severus," said Dumbledore firmly, and Snape went quiet, though his eyes still glinted malevolently through his curtain of greasy black hair.

Professor Dumbledore was now looking down at Harry, who looked right back at him, trying to discern the expression of the eyes behind the half-moon spectacles.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" he asked calmly.

"No," said Harry.

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Goblet of Fire for you?" said Professor Dumbledore,

"No," said Harry vehemently.

"Ah, but of course 'e is lying!" cried Madame Maxime. Snape was now shaking his head, his lip curling.

"But what about your student Madame Maxime," asked Karkaroff, "Is it not unfair that you school has two competitors?"

I looked up, just in time to hear Fleur.

"Anybody can see that my sister did not enter herself in this competition, she is terrified."

"It's ok," I murmured to Fleur, stepping forward I addressed the whole room.

"I did not want to enter this competition, I have no idea about him," I threw a pointed look at Harry, "but I would never enter a competition like this, Fleur might, but I most certainly would not."

"Very well, I believe the girl but what about the boy?" spat Karkaroff.

"I believe Harry had absolutely nothing to do with his name coming out of the Goblet," intervened Dumbledore, "but Barty, Ludo, you know the rules back to front, will the Potters be competing?"

Barty Crouch stepped forward, "They have no choice but to compete, however since their names were picked out together, they shall work together."

 I felt like screaming, and I knew I would crack if I stayed in their much longer, thankfully Madame Maxime seemed to notice, I heard her mutter something about going to bed before she swept  me and Fleur out of the chamber and back towards the carriage.

Harry's pov

I stared after my sister in dismay. Well there went my chance of apologizing, I suppose  I would have to try and find her tomorrow.

A/N
hey guys
sorry it's been so long since my last update. think of this chapter as your Christmas present!

Merry Christmas and thanks for reading

Ella x