Chapter 3: No Contest

Start from the beginning

"Cesar called," he says. I'm waiting for him to continue but he doesn't. Instead he's slurping his coffee. Loudly.

"You woke me up just to tell me that? I've barely slept 5 hours!"

"Well, he woke me up," Haymitch grumbles. Then he brightens up. "Anyway, he said he was too excited about his idea that he couldn't wait."

My face darkens. "What idea?"

Haymitch puts his hands up. "No, no. Nothing like that. So apparently, they're in trouble at the Capitol. You know, people getting depressed and going crazy. They're looking for something to take their minds off everything that's happened."

"Go on."

"Some type of entertainment."

"Get to the point, Haymitch."

"So Cesar comes up with an idea. Why not do a show?"

"What kind of show?"

Haymitch hesitates before answering. Then he puts on a fake smile and says, "A dating show!" with a flourish of his hand.

"Really, Haymitch?" I roll my eyes. "I'm going back to bed."

"Wait, they want you and Peeta on it!" he shouts, and I pause on the second step.

"Me and Peeta? Peeta Mellark?"

He snorts. "Do you know any other Peeta?"

"Why?"

"Because you two are Panem's favorite teenagers, that's why." He says this as though it's obvious. Frankly it's something I've tried to forget.

"They want a show with me and Peeta dating?" My mouth is hanging open in disbelief.

"Not exactly." Haymitch stretches and then yawns. "The people of Panem sent in votes, you know, to see who should be on the pilot of the show. Guess who topped the votes?"

I let out a huff. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard."

"Hey, this is the Capitol we're talking about. You've seen more ridiculous things."

Yes, like throwing 24 kids in a ring to fight to the death.

"And how is this supposed to help anything?" I ask.

Haymitch walks to the kitchen to refill his cup. "Think of it like an auction. They're auctioning you and Peeta to the highest bidders. Winners get to go on a date with you."

"What makes him think people will give money to that?"

"They've already started. Cesar's getting calls left and right. He's really thrilled about this. Even got President Paylor to okay it. She says it might be good for morale."

I bite my lower lip, thinking hard. "They want me to go on a date with someone other than Peeta?"

"Uh huh."

"Why?"

The entire Panem knows about Peeta and me. Who would watch us go with anyone else?

"Beats me. Maybe they want to see how you and Peeta act around someone else," Haymitch says, his eyes trained on me knowingly. "Or maybe they know you and Peeta were just an act and want to confirm it."

Just an act. Me and Peeta.

"No," I say, firmly.

"No what?"
"I'm not doing some stupid show."

"It's only one date, sweetheart. A couple of hours, tops."

"It doesn't matter," I say. "My answer is no."