Chapter 2

Walking into the old cafe, Gavin smiled a bit. This was the one place he felt comfortable. It wasn't really a bar, even though that's what it's portrayed as, but more of like a place for people to come to for comfort. A place to get away.

A place Gavin had been searching for for years.

It was never busy, even on weekends. Usually in bars there would be a lot of loudness and drunks, but here was different.

His job wasn't just to pass drinks to people. He wouldn't just ask for an order and leave people alone, especially if they had the same look in there eyes as he did on the bridge.

Pain. Sorrow. Agony.

Gavin talked to everyone, but had deep conversations for those in need of help. He full heartedly believed he was what stopped people from committing suicide. Something he'd thought of himself, but lived on for his mother.

He'd made more friends in that cafe than anywhere else. Some faces he saw come in all the time, others people he'd never seen before.

One thing he was especially popular for was playing piano while he was on his break. Even though he gave up on his dream of being a musician, he could still play for the many people in need of some music.

He always thought of music to be a form of magic. Music can be the judge of your emotions. It can make you sad, angry, happy, energetic. For some people, it's what keeps them sane.

So he played. Often times people would ask him about his music, and he'd explain he studied it since he touched a saxophone. They would always ask to hear him play, but be had to respectfully decline as the only instrument there was a piano.

"Welcome back, Gavin," Gavin's boss, Jordan, greeted.

Gavin waved at him a little, trying his best to get a good smile out. Let's just say he didn't succeed.

Jordan already knew what the day was. His mothers birthday. So did all his co-workers, and a few of the common folk that came in almost every Saturday.

They were all seated at the bar, greeting him as he walked in. Throughout his two years of working there, he never seemed to show a lot of emotion besides happiness. However today, he couldn't help but shed a tear as he saw the people making his life seem good.

He was finally finding happiness again, and he never wanted to leave it again.

Throughout the night, it was almost like a party of old friends coming together again. Everyone acted like family with each other.

Gavin would play a song on the piano, and everyone would sing the lyrics with him. It was the greatest thing he'd ever seen.

When it came time for Gavin's shift to end, it had died down a bit. A few people left to go spend with their family, as Gavin suggested. Though most people were still there, sadly it was time for the cafe to close.

Before he left, everyone remaining bowed their heads and held a moment of silence for Gavin's, Jordan's, and everyone elses lost family members in there.

While the day was supposed to be seen as sad, it turned out to be the best day the boy had in a while. He didn't want any of it to change. It was the first time in a long time he felt like he belonged.

His time, however, wouldn't last.

~~~~~~~~

Roughly two years passed. Gavin had graduated college, and was now a full-time surgeon. He was given the choice to work weekends, however Gavin set those days aside to work his usual shift at his favorite cafe in town.

Of course if there were any patients he needed to treat, he would treat them until they either unfortunately passed, or he saves their life. The townsfolk knew that, and respected him more than ever because of it.

That's what had happened this week.

A man by the name of Skylar Greene had gotten into a terrible car accident, getting treated immediately. It was the worst crash he had ever seen.

He was extremely nervous. The man looked as though he were already dead, pieces of glass and metal in his body. He didn't know if he was able to save him.

Working nonstop for two days straight, he had gotten all glass and metal out of the male. He had worked his magic and got the patient into a relatively good condition. Obviously it wasn't good, but he would survive. That Gavin knew of.

It was rather strange, though. Throughout the two days, there was a group of people who always stopped by to check on him. Two of them in particular stayed with him as long as Gavin was there. If they weren't in the room with him, they were in the waiting room.

The two were both female. It seemed as though one was the girlfriend of Skylar and the other was her friend, supporting her throughout the nights. Most of the time the two would fall asleep at a reasonable time, but going into the third night, it seemed like one of them didn't feel tired.

He wasn't working on the male at the time, so the two were sitting in the room with him. He looked utterly exhausted, not having an ounce of sleep in nearly three days. He was told he could take a break, but declined. He wasn't stopping until he was done.

At the moment he was sipping a cup of coffee, making sure nothing went wrong with him during the night.

"Not tired yet?" He asked the female that was awake softly.

She shook her head slightly. "I don't feel like sleeping just yet."

"I get what you mean," Gavin said as he sipped his coffee again.

"Have you not slept at all while working on Skylar?" The woman asked after a short time of silence.

Gavin chuckled a bit and shook his head. "Haven't slept in three days, but that's what coffee is for."

"You don't look old enough to be a doctor," The woman said. "How old are you?"

"I'm 22," Gavin replied. "Got the job here as soon as I got my associate's degree. How old are you?"

"Oh, I'm 18," The woman responded. "I'm about to graduate high school."

Gavin looked at her features now, getting the same deja vu he had two years ago. "What's your name?"

"My name's Rachel," She replied. "What's yours?"

"Gavin," Gavin responded simply. "Nice to meet you."

He never would have guessed he'd meet someone in such an unfortunate situation, but it was nice to talk to someone after this long week.

The two of them talked for about an hour about whatever came up before she fell asleep. He laughed a bit to himself, checking the monitor for Skylar's heart rate to make sure everything was going smoothly.

He smiled a little, glad he was able to save his life. He looked a little younger than himself, mainly because looking in the small mirror on his desk, Gavin noticed he had a small stubble growing. Jeez, he needed to shave.

~~~

Another two days had passed, and Gavin had finally gotten the patient into a good enough condition for him to be able to walk around. Now that it was nearly garunteed for him to survive, his boss had someone else take over for the night to make sure everything was going good.

Gavin had gone home and gotten the first night sleep he'd gotten in days, and he went to sleep happy. He talked with Rachel just about every night after they were allowed in, and he had just saved the life of someone yet again.

It was one of the best nights of sleep he'd ever gotten.

~~~~~~~~~~
And that concludes chapter 2 everyone!

I hope you all enjoyed. I was hoping to have gotten this out sooner, but this past week was my last week of school, so there was a lot of work to be done.

Now I should be posting more often, but I can't promise that with how busy I get at home.

Anyways, thank you for giving the time of day to read my story. I wish you all a lovely evening.