Incidents of a First Day

Start from the beginning

"Hawthorne, somethings wrong in this town. I felt it the moment we got here. First it was that ghost in the basement, then the Cullens, and now this. We should just pack up and leave again. It was a mistake coming here."

"We got here yesterday Mel." He tried to reason with her. "You're telling me we should just pack up and leave again because of some spooky stuff?"

"Not spooky stuff, things that could get us killed!" She seethed. "It's not good, the only thing I even have any certainty in is that the Cullens aren't evil but that doesn't mean something isn't wrong with them just the same."

Hawthorne sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "Look, I know things are weird here but we can't just leave again. It costs money to leave and as much as I was complaining yesterday, I know that we can't just up and go. We'll get this figured out but right now, we have to go back in and at least get our clothes. Can you do that with me? I'll be at your side the entire time and if it's still in there, grab my hand and show me so I can see what you're talking about."

Hawthorne was always good at inspiring people and as much as Amelie hated to admit it, it worked on her. "Fine but.. let's get in and out." She told him as he nodded.

"Fine by me, trust me. They're gonna think we're nuts." And then they walked back in and Amelie went stiff as it still stood in the middle of the gym, it's head watching people but as soon as they walked back in, it's head swiveled towards them.

"You're back." It grinned, it's teeth sharp and rotting. Amelie grabbed Hawthorne's arm and spoke low under her breath, projecting the thought into his head with a casting spell. As he saw it, his body stiffened a fraction and he blinked rapidly.

"Good God, Amelie." He whispered roughly as the coach walked over to them.

"You two are the new kids, right? What's wrong with you kid? I heard your brother say something about stomach cramps?" He asked as Amelie tried to focus on him as she slowly nodded, pale and queasy.

"I-I'm not feeling so good." Amelie muttered, the ghost now standing behind the coach, towering over him and she could see its head, it's mouth opening as blood dripped out of it's mouth.

"I can tell, you don't look so good." He sounded concerned as he looked Amelie over. His name tag said 'Mr. Lewis.' He was in his late 40's, wearing a grey gym shirt and blue mismatching gym shorts with a varsity jacket. He had brown hair and a brown goatee, and somewhat of a beer gut. "You don't look so great either, son. You two think maybe you got a bug? Maybe your dinner last night gave you food poisoning?" He asked as Hawthorne nodded rapidly.

"Yeah, I think you're right Mr. Lewis. I'm not feeling on my A game right now either." Hawthorne tried to be as charming as he could, his eyes quickly glancing to the spirit standing over Mr. Lewis's shoulder before training his eyes back on his face with concentration. "I'm Hawthorne Dakwood and this is my sister, Amelie. I hate to ask sir but do you think we could be excused from gym? I'd like to make sure my sister is okay, I think maybe we'll go to the nurses office and get her and I a pepper mint for our queasy stomachs."

Hawthorne tried to flash him a charming smile but it fell flat with the nerves. Amelie squeezed his arm reassuringly but stiffened as it spoke again, Hawthorne stiffening too. "You witches and warlocks were silly to come here. You seeeeeee me? He did this to me, that monster in the basement. You know what I'm speaking of, don't you girl? All witches and warlocks live at that house."

Suddenly Amelie was listening closely to it, a bad feeling settling in her gut. "Yeah you guys can go to the nurses office. I normally wouldn't allow it but you two are new and I can clearly tell you both aren't feeling very well. Sorry that's how your first day is turning out but hopefully things go smoothly the rest of this week. Go ahead and grab your clothes and get changed."