Memories and Dilemmas

Start from the beginning

They've comforted me, knowing that he actually loved me.

Does he... Does he still love me?

***

Mason's POV

I close the door to my bedroom and walk down the stairs. I've been struggling to fall asleep for the past hour. I think a visit to the kitchen should help.

I need to speak to Jesse or Max about our contribution in the house.

Before I reach the end of the stairs, I hear voices coming from the kitchen. I pause and slowly continue to walk until I'm nearly at the bottom. I stop and listen once I recognise the voices.

Max and Justin.

"I noticed something between you and Maya." Justin says.

A silence stretches between them before Max replies.

"What?"

"Don't act dumb." Justin chuckles. "I saw the way you were looking at her. Do you, do you like her."

Another silence.

"Oh, man, that's great." Justin's voice again.

The realisation hits me and I feel a pang of pain in my stomach. He likes her.

"It was, I think, but now..." Max sighs.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm not sure if Maya feels the same. I mean, I think I can win her over..."

"But?"

"Mason."

"Ah, yeah, of course."

"He's back and we both know how Maya felt about him." Max explains.

I feel my curiosity spike up. I never really got to know how Maya felt about me. Circumstances didn't give us that opportunity. Even when I told her I love her, she was barely unconscious. She probably doesn't even remember.

"Do you think she still feels the same way about Mason?"

"I don't know, man." Another pause.

"Max, if you find out they still love each other or at least one still loves the other, what then?"

"I'll walk away." Max sighs. "I won't hurt them by coming between them. If Maya still loves Mason, I'll help her get back together with him. The same with Mason."

"You're a good friend." Justin remarks.

He's more than that. He's the best of all friends. Max never puts himself first. He's always put me before him and what have I ever done to thank him?

I shut my eyes and try to let everything sink in. He likes Maya. Of course he likes her. Who wouldn't?

She's beautiful and smart. She cares about other people and is so kind hearted and sweet. How can someone not fall in love with her laugh or the cute way she pouts when she's upset?

I feel a hole form in my heart. I love Maya. I've tried to get over her but I failed each time. She's stuck in my mind and tattooed to my heart.

Yet here's my best friend, who says he likes her.

It's been two years, I'm sure Maya has also moved on.

I take the two remaining steps and when my feet land on the floor, I look up at Max and Justin.

"Mason, hey." Justin quickly spots me.

"Couldn't sleep?" Max asks as I enter the kitchen.

"Yeah." I nod and rest my hands on the kitchen island.

"Well, since you're here, I won't feel guilty leaving Max all alone." Justin grins before bidding us goodnight and leaving.

Max gets off the bar stool he's sitting on and stands in front of me. I give him a confused smile but he returns it with a genuine, happy one.

"Wh-"

He interjects by wrapping his arms around me in a hug. I smile and hug him back.

"I've missed you so much. These past years have been terrible without you." He speaks.

"I'm sorry I left. I'm here now."

We let go of each other and happiness fills my heart. I expected him to get mad and possibly throw me out but that's not Max.

"Is the job to be your best friend still available?" I jokingly inquire with a sheepish grin.

"Hmm..." He rubs his chin. "I don't know, I mean, Jesse and Justin are some serious competition."

My face falls but I manage a laugh.

"I'm joking." He playfully pushes me. "You're not just my best friend, you're my brother, Mason."

I smile and he walks around the island.

"I'm feeling a midnight snack." He opens the refrigerator.

"Fruit?" He suggests and I nod.

My mind quickly returns to his conversation with Justin.

What am I going to do?