Chapter One | Welcome Back

What I did when I had just arrived in the city was call Carissa and tell her to meet me. We've been in touch every day since I left for uni and she was glad I was back in town. She said she couldn't wait to hug me and catch up with me because she had so many things to tell me. I wish I could do the same.

She sounded so happy, and of course, she was. Carissa was lucky enough to be with the man he wanted. Her parents made a fuss when they knew what she had done, but she told them she wasn't giving up on him. Eventually, her parents assumed she wouldn't change her mind, and they had no right to stop her. She wasn't living with them and she was over eighteen, nearly twenty, to do whatever she considered right to do.

I must admit I was kinda jealous of her, as bad as it sounded. My parents would never approve what Harry and I had between us, even if I moved out with him and, of course, they wouldn't care I was about to turn twenty; they would drag me back with them and call the police on Harry for messing with his student. That was something that could've happened with how careless I was about the teacher crush blog, where I posted my face and name countless times; even writing Harry's name, being silly enough to not realize someone could have seen it and ruined his life.

Gladly and thankfully, nobody bad happened, and I deleted the blog weeks before leaving.

While Rebecca and my dad were happily babbling about how happy they are that I'm back after two years, I forced myself to fake-smile at them, avoiding worrying them for something I had to get over myself.

I just couldn't stop thinking about Harry. I didn't know what happened to him after we stopped seeing each other. Would he be married with kids by now? Would he be still with that brunette woman I hated with all my life? I sighed, not liking where my mind was wandering through.

I tried to keep up with my dad's rambling. "Honey, we have all summer to do all you want. We can go camping, hiking, whatever! Just mention it and we'll do it". Rebecca nodded in approval and I was already tired thinking of those activities. We never did anything for the summer, why now?

"Dad, why... why don't just we... think about it for a couple of days, yeah? I'm a bit tired from the trip and the long road." I tried to be the nicest with him, and his smile fell down a little bit, sympathy all over his face.

"I understand and it's fine, we have a long summer ahead though, so no worries." I'm glad he understood it and didn't make questions. Rebecca was frowning a little bit and came closer to talk to me once my dad left my room.

"Are you okay, Anna?" She asked, worry clear on her face. I nodded silently. I felt something was odd about this conversation. "Are you like that because of a guy? Do you have a boyfriend there and you're worried you're far away for the summer?" I got up in a swift move and looked at her like she's just grown two heads.

"No!" I screamed a little too much, but I wasn't expecting what she has just said. "No! Gosh, there's... there're no guys, Rebecca" I said, dismissing it with a move of my hand. She looked at me sitting on my bed, where I was before she decided to ask all those weird questions out of the blue.

"A girl, then?" She tried. I rolled my eyes. "C'mon, Anna, you can be honest with us. Your dad would never reject you." As much as I was glad about my dad being a respectful man, it wasn't the case either way. I didn't want to sound rude, but I think I did.

"Rebecca, just leave it. There are no guys, or girls, or anyone." I tried to end the conversation that way, and hoped she would get the hint.

She must have gotten it because I heard the door of my room closing softly and sighed in relief once she left. I was regretting coming back already because everything here reminded me of Harry and my life when I was in high school. I sometimes wish I could go back in time and change everything that happened and do them right. I was an immature girl back then and have grown so much since I left, that I know saw things differently. And much better.

I took a shower without washing my hair and changed my clothes. This summer wasn't as hot as in past years and I liked it. I couldn't wait to see Carissa and be honest with her about everything. I missed her, even tho we used to argue sometimes over silly stuff, because she knew everything that was going on with me. I could tell her everything and didn't appreciate it enough when I used to have her by my side every single day.

I was ready to go out, but I wasn't meeting with Carissa until 8 PM at the restaurant, and there was half an hour left. I would arrive in no time and had no rush in leaving yet. I went backstairs and sat on the couch next to where Rebecca and my dad were watching TV. Looking at them sneakily, I came to the conclusion their life was pretty simple, but all I wanted at the end of the day. Someone to be my side. My mind went back to Harry. His dimples, his smile, his piercing green eyes... Stop it.

I told them I was meeting Carissa tonight, and they were glad we still were friends. After a while, I told them I was leaving and I would try not to come back home too late.

While I was on my way to the restaurant, my mind went back to those simple times when Alex moved next to my house, when I went to school every day with a big smile on my face because I was getting to see Harry, talking with Carissa every day at school and after.

I really needed her by my side. She was the only one who could understand what I'm going through, since she did the same back in the time. She wouldn't judge me as hard as other people would, and that's what I needed. No judgment, just a shoulder to cry on.

I arrived just in time to see Carissa waiting. When she saw me she lifted her arm and waved it at me with an enormous smile on his face. God, how much I missed her. I smiled back, honestly for once since I arrived and rushed to her. I opened my arms a bit before getting to her and we hugged so tightly. We stood there for long minutes before we pulled back. She was beautiful, she looked... really happy.

"You look miserable!"

"You look stunning!"

We spoke at the same time and we laughed, glad nothing has changed between us. I had to agree with her.

"I look miserable because I am." There was no reason to fake in front of her. She knew me too well.

"Hope you have the rest of the night free because I want you to tell me everything! And don't skip details." She said while we got inside the restaurant. It was the most local thing we used to do, and we sat next to a window. She was in front of me with her hands folded on the table.

"Spill everything, I see your bitter face, girl. There's no point in lying to me." She said once we were in our seats. I didn't know where to start. But as I was thinking a way of telling her how I felt, she asked something I had been asking myself for these two long years and failed to answer.

"Are you over... him?" She questioned carefully. Not wanting to mention him in case someone heard us.

Sighing, I shook my head no. "I did everything I could think of to get over him: dated many guys, slept with them, nothing worked."

She looked worried. "The more you rush it, the worst you'll feel. Just accept what you feel but don't let it consume you." She said as she knew too well what she was talking about, but she got her happy ending and I got... nothing. Carissa stiffened in her seat and looked uncomfortable. "Don't look back, Harry is outside and saw us. Saw you."

I bit my lower lip hard, not knowing what to do. Just the mention of his name sent chills down my spine and didn't know how to react. I didn't look back; I knew if I did, all the feelings I have hidden for so long, would come to the surface quickly and I wasn't ready for it.

"He's coming inside," Carissa said. I had a front-row look at the door and saw the moment he entered. My heart skipped a beat and all my world was turned upside down with just the sight of him.