BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

They drove the few blocks to the solicitor's office. Mr. Anthony could not have been more astonished when she introduced Micah and produced their marriage license.

Mr. Anthony glared at Micah. "So, Yankee, you've married well, have you?"

She opened her mouth to respond to the tactless statement, but Micah spoke.

"Any man who's married as beautiful and intelligent a woman as Mrs. Stone should consider he's married very well indeed." Micah emphasized her new title, but his even speech contrasted to the steel of his gaze.

Mr. Anthony turned his anger on Micah, "You may have tricked the jury and this vulnerable young woman, but you'll find not all the people in this town are so easily fooled. Marrying her won't excuse your past or make you accepted in the community."

Micah stepped between her and Mr. Anthony. "It's not your place to judge either of us. You're paid, probably very well, to do a job. Now get on with whatever it is you have to do to give my wife control of her estate."

Red flooded Mr. Anthony's face and he looked apoplectic. "I'll do it, but I'll be watching you, young man. If anything happens to Miss Montoya, you'll hang for sure this time."

"Her name is Mrs. Micah Stone." He pointed to the paper in the solicitor's hand. "We need that marriage certificate back to show her banker."

Mr. Anthony's eyes narrowed when he thrust the paper at Micah and repeated, "I'll be watching, and don't you forget it."

Micah rolled the certificate carefully. "Yeah, well why weren't you watching while someone tried to poison her?"

She cringed, for she hadn't wanted anyone but Micah to know about the poison. Not yet.

Mr. Anthony looked like a fish out of water, gulping for air with his eyes bulged out. "What are you talking about?"

"It is true, Mr. Anthony," she said. "I expect you to keep this information in strict confidence, but I am sure of it. I did not want to say anything, for I have little proof."

"Impossible." He waved a hand as if dismissing the idea as preposterous. "Who would dare such a thing?"

Justified, she looked at Micah then back to Mr. Anthony. "This was the very reaction I had feared from anyone I told of my suspicions. For that reason, I did not seek help from anyone in town except the Hendersons and Mr. Stone." She thanked her lucky stars Micah had agreed to her plan. Without his protection, she was certain she would not survive.

As if reading her mind, Micah smiled at her. "Doesn't matter," he said softly. "You're no longer fighting alone." Answering the solicitor's question, Micah said, "It's a fact, Anthony, and I aim to find out who's responsible." Micah placed a hand at her waist and they left the office.

She snapped, "I had not planned to tell anyone about the poison. You should have consulted me before you mentioned it."

Micah shrugged. "He got my dander up. Besides, he didn't believe us, so he's not likely to tell anyone."

"Nevertheless, you should have discussed it with me first."

"Yes, ma'am. You're the boss." His jaw clenched.

She regretted her outburst, but she didn't intend to let good manners cause the loss of her independence. She'd waited too long for freedom.

It took under an hour at the bank to add Micah's name and remove her Tio's from her account, transfer funds to Micah's ranch balance, withdraw cash for Micah's pockets, and ask for a complete record of all action on her funds since her father's death. They dealt with the owner, Dennis Pumphrey.